Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

julius

How to use colums with sections?

julius

Hi,

I got a question regarding the columns:

I see that I can drag sections inside the columns.

For example if I want to use the Highlight section,

I can either drag a column in my template, and than drag the Highlight section inside that column.

BUT I can also just drag the highlight section right inside the template without using a column.

Which one is the better way and why? 

nfp1900

Hi Rob

It's really not asking about the sections per se but what the correct approach is to setting up the page. For example, is it not advised to do certain things like dragging in a full width section, then adding a column and additional sections into those? Whilst there are some great docs that explain the individual components I couldn't find much about the 'best practice' using DMS. It offers incredible flexibility but sometimes that can make things more difficult to get started...

clodis

Ciao Julius, in realtà come dice npf1900 non c'è nei documenti, questi quando non sanno come rispondere rimandano sempre ai documenti, che sono ancora lacunosi e generici, dalle prove eseguite , non puoi, ci deve essere sempre una colonna in cui inserire la sezione, salvo che qualcuno ne sappia di più per ora è così, ciao e buona giornata.

Hello Julius, actually says npf1900 there in the documents,from tests carried out, you can't, there must always be a column in which to insert the section, unless someone I know more per hour so, hello and good day.

nfp1900

You can drag sections into an area without using columns first - I haven't seen any documentation that advises either way. The link on docs to activate/configure sections http://docs.pagelines.com/configure/configure-sections doesn't work. If you know where it's posted, can please add it here. 

clodis

You can drag sections into an area without using columns first - I haven't seen any documentation that advises either way. The link on docs to activate/configure sections http://docs.pagelines.com/configure/configure-sections doesn't work. If you know where it's posted, can please add it here. 

Infact, sorry for my english but I share your think.

julius

thanx guys, grazie ragazzi!

in fact it works to place sections without first placing columns.

So the columns seem "useless" to me, but there must be a reason they are there,

would be nice to understand when and why I should use the colums.

Rob

Buongiorno,

I sent you to the docs because the official explanation is in there.  That said, you can add a section without a column for full width, but if you want a sidebar, the columns are essential.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

julius

Ciao Rob, thx!

But even if I have a sidebar,

I can drag in a section to my template without using a column,

that works without problems !!!

So I decided that I dont need any colums when I use DMS,

until someone tells me a reason why I should

:-)

nfp1900

Actually the docs don't cover template and page structure and I've asked the same question. 

The link that Rob sent is simply a description of the various sections, it doesn't include any information on the correct way to format a page and when to use columns. 

• Similar Content

• Gøglersvend
      By Gøglersvend
      Hi guys,

Hope you can help me - I'm pretty new in Pagelines.

I've designed most of a site, but I now want to add another menu/navigation bar than the fixed one.

I have disabled the fixed one and am trying to drag the NavBar (and also the Y.A.M.S.) to the header, but something do not work.

Normally when you drag something from the 'add sections'-section to the page it shows what the section looks like on the page. When you hover the mouse over the added section you'll get to edit, clone, delete, change width and so on.

When I drag the menu-section to the header, nothing like that happens. It just shows the icon for the section in the header and will not allow me to save the page. The only thing that happens, when I hover the mouse, is that the arrow changes into the 'drag'-icon - four arrows connected at the end pointing in four different directions.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help!