Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nfp1900

Quickslider - PL carousel - Features

nfp1900

The Quickslider has never been the cleanest looking baby with those frames and shadows. But I also can't wrap the text in header tags to create a title - this causes the copy to jump below the image into an additional white space. Is there a better way to add titles to the slides or shall I just use photoshop to create them? Plus searching in Firebug I couldn't see anywhere to strip out the CSS despite highlighting the class - where's that all hidden?

I could use the PL Carousel shortcode - this seems to work in the media box OK but is a real bind to add all the images and  copy changes have a hard time saving. It takes more than a few attempts to get it to stick... So if the quickslider titles don't work this is the clean looking option.

The features (minus the shadow) always did a good job but they don't appear to be working as part of the legacy plugin just yet. 

Any advice accepted, thanks

Rob

Hello Nick,

I do believe that the Quick Slider may just not be the right fit for your needs.  You should just add the PL Carousel shortcode to a text area, not the Media Box, to make it work easier. Separately, add your images to the WP Media Library in your site (Dashboard > Media > Add New) and just copy the URL for each image (click Edit to see this). Add the copied URL to the code.  You can actually do this in a text editor, then drop the whole thing into the text area once.  That's what I'm doing. Works a charm!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

nfp1900

Thanks Rob

Only thing I can't see is to change the location of the title/body on the PL Carousel. Mine appears centred although in the old docs it is shown to the left. 

Rob

Nick, I'm not sure why that's happening. Did you use Firebug for Firefox to view it and check the CSS? That may be solution to the alignment issue. 

dhrose

If I could jump in and ask a question... where would I find the carousel shortcode? I've been trying to duplicate my carousel from framework in dms and I can't seem to find it? Is there going to be any carousels offered in dms for free (pay)? 

dhrose

Thanks.

nfp1900

The only thing with the carousel is that it's pretty ugly as styling goes and you can't use it with just a graphic, it places a black line at the bottom. 

Bring back features! When are the legacy sections going to be added?

Rob

Nick, don't quote me, but I don't think the old feature slider's going to work in DMS.  And that's not a DMS issue, it's the fact that the javascript/jquery behind it can't be so easily updated in the slider, and the updates driven by WP 3.6 are causing conflicts.  I'm hoping that our developers are coming up with an alternative solution.

That said,  I was able to use 3rd party plugins in both DMS and Framework, applied to a text area in DMS by shortcode.  There are a number of them, free and paid, which work well, but the only one I've been able to find that works ideally with categories and post featured images is Promotion Slider.

tinsky

I hope they come up with one too.  I use this feature on the majority of my websites as an easy way to promote other posts and I'm really missing it.