Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheilahoff

Really basic layout questions

sheilahoff

I am a designer with website experience but not full blown programmer or developer. I came to PL framework after a few years on Headway. I have only 2 sites started in it and none completed yet. But I got the hang of it quickly and had thought I'd stay with it rather than DMS. But now that I realize I won't have access to the add-ons for the framework I guess I need to see if I can make a go of it in DMS.

I've been trying to sort how to use the DMS and the simplest things seems daunting. Like how to make the content body background white while the rest of the background is another color or image. Should be simple.The way I "fudged" it was to leave the Content Base Color white then I uploaded a tiny image of the color I wanted and uploaded it as a background image. But is there a CSS way to do it that? I did just find the advanced setting to turn on framework compatability. So I was able to also do it in there. But that will be going away. So I need to know how this is supposed to work.

I also am not seeing any way to upload a site banner image! I guess I'm either missing it or I'm supposed to be a coder and just know how?! The best I figured out was to use a Media Box section. Is that right or how "should" it be done?

And in the framework there was a nice simple way to add the social media icons to the header....don't see it. I've added our social media info in the Global Options but that doesn't make them appear anywhere. Should it? How should this be done?

And a nice easy way to add a drop shadow around the body if it was blog-width...don't see it.

I can't even find an easy way to add padding to the main body section. The built in padding is top/bottom. But doesn't impact side padding. Must everything be done via custom CSS? The whole reason I use a framework like Headway then Pagelines, is because I'm not a coder. Yes I can usually figure it out with some effort and yes I would benefit from learning it, but I seem to need a lot more coding knowledge with DMS then I've needed with PL framework.

I have read the documentation but it doesn't address these questions as they are TOO basic. Is there a document that walks through making a simple site from the beginning?

Dev site at http://www.etc.hoffmangraphics.com

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Rob

Sheila,

Have you read the docs at http://docs.pagelines.com ?  Sections can be colored using settings described in the docs.  There are several ways to change things. Using an inspector in another browser also helps.

Please don't mistake this for a complaint, but for the time being, please keep your support requests down to a short request.  I have hundreds of topics to reply in hours and long topics take too much time these days.  It's not that I want to ignore you - I won't, but to help you the best way possible, I have to focus on the quickest topics first.  Short questions get the best and fastest answers.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sheilahoff

Didn't sound like a complaint. It's good advice to not group all my questions into one post. I appreciate how overwhelmed PL support is during this difficult transition. I've hired Ellen Moore to be my coach so I hope I won't need to post for a lot more help. And yes, I have read the docs. Thanks. have a great weekend.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Rob

You too, and thanks for understanding!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur