Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danieldynasty

DMS Site Incompatible w/ Internet Explorer 8 and below

danieldynasty

Hello everyone,

I'm doing some cross-browser compatibility tests with my DMS powered website. It seems it does not work on IE8 and prior. User has to click the Compatibility mode or non-compatibility mode icon on their IE browser to have the site be functional. I have attached a screenshot of IE7 and IE8.

How can we remedy this??

Danny
Hi, We do not provide support for IE versions below 8 and IE8 support is limited, due to it limited support of HTML5 and CSS3. I highly recommend updating your IE version to the latest version or better yet, uninstall it and use Chrome. IE regardless of version is a poor browser. However, if you can provide more information regarding your IE8 issues, we may be able to help, but I do recommend upgrading to the new version.

Please search our forums, before posting!

danieldynasty

Hi Danny,

The issue isnt me using an outdated version of IE, it's the visitors. It's not feasible to force them to upgrade nor tell them to upgrade when they are coming to your website and potentially dropping good $$$ on your product/service. They haven't updated for a reason, and unfortunately people are creatures of habit..

Imagine a gas station turning away customers that drive an older car because the car wasn't up to the gas station's emission standards.. It's a crap analogy but you guys get the point.

Anyway, I know it's hard to work with IE8 and below. And people aren't willing to upgrade their older browsers. I'm just asking if there's a solution to force the "Compatibility View" to on, for IE8 and below visitors. Thanks all!

Hi, We do not provide support for IE versions below 8 and IE8 support is limited, due to it limited support of HTML5 and CSS3. I highly recommend updating your IE version to the latest version or better yet, uninstall it and use Chrome. IE regardless of version is a poor browser. However, if you can provide more information regarding your IE8 issues, we may be able to help, but I do recommend upgrading to the new version.

Danny
I am not aware of any method to enable compatibility view on by default. You can either use Browser Specific CSS and attempt to fix some of your issues or install a plugin which informs users that they're still the dark ages and using an out of date browser. http://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-browser-check/

Please search our forums, before posting!

allenkiely

From my experience in web development, a very large percentage of web users are still using ie8. 10%

http://www.sitepoint.com/browser-trends-may-2013/

It's a bit of a cop out to say that you don't support ie8, as a typical site I have been involved in, a developer to would have gone to some efforts to make certain elements/sections of the site at the very least appear. I have just built a site and the slider doesn't work at all: bmt.allenkiely.com, which is a key feature on the site. 

Rob

Thank you Donnie Darko for helping out!

I suspect however, that the issue here isn't just CSS, though that most likely is the bulk of it.  Old computers, with outdated browsers can't support some of the more modern javascripts, jquery, etc. This is why, I believe, IE7 and earlier are rarely included in any Wordpress based developments these days.

While I understand that not everyone can just chuck out multi-million dollar investments in computers (governments, schools, businesses), the issue is they want to and often need to use the most contemporary systems for their websites.  That is, to me and most developers, like taking a Model T Ford and putting it on the racetrack at Daytona or Indianapolis.  Likely it couldn't even compete at Belmont or Pimlico.

So we end up developing products with a forward looking view. We really don't have much option.

Forgive me this long-winded thought on older browsers.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur