Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheilahoff

Live Chat, Dashboard, questions

sheilahoff

I'm a Plus member and just posted over on the Live Chat in the PL Dashboard. I waited 30 minutes and no one was there from PL. Have we lost this feature?

Here are the questions I wanted addressed in Live Chat.

1) I'm using PL not DMS on a new site. I'm still not seeing the sections I've paid for. When will my Dashboard be fully functional again? I cannot install any PL tools as I always get
Fatal error! The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature

2) I noticed that on my first PL site the custom CSS displays in colors to make it easy to read but this install doesn't. Was that an add-on that gave me that functionality or should it always be that way?

3) In a default installation the "primary sidebar" seems to automatically display some widgets. I assumed that I could change the widgets in that sidebar but I don't seem to be able to impact them. Not sure why.

Thanks.

Website URL: http://mike.hoffmangraphics.com/
Framework Version: 2.4.4
WordPress Version: 3.6

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Rob

Sheila,

Live Chat, as far as I know, will not be moderated anymore.  It is impossible to support multiple dialogues simultaneously for different products.  I'm sure you understand.

To answer No. 1.  See http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28568-framework-store-free-products/

For 2. I believe it was something we provided on the backend to format the look of the custom code area, but isn't working for new installs.  I can't say when, or if it will be fixed, but will bring it to the attention of our developers.

Lastly, for 3.,  that function is a standard WordPress process so that people know where their primary sidebar is.  You don't 'remove' them, but just add widgets to the sidebar.  Once you do, the default widgets vanish.  This happens with every single framework, theme, or platform using WordPress. It's always the blogroll (links), calendar and I believe one or two more.  They'll just go away once you place your own widgets into that sidebar.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sheilahoff

Thanks Rob. I'm really bummed about Live Chat which was one of the selling features of owning Plus. I'm also bummed about the CSS formatting...I hope they restore that feature. I have the same version of PL installed two places and one has it and one doesn't which is why I thought it must've been an add on of some kind.

I've posted over on the free-products thread and asked about the future on this. Will they return to the Dashboard or is this a permanent situation? If the later, at a minimum, they should be made available as a single package download.

And lastly, yes, I figured it out finally. I thought it was my primary sidebar but the issue was it was the "homepage" sidebar which is why my changes weren't taking affect. Most odd but fixed. Thanks.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Rob

My apologies Sheila, but if you knew the complexities of supporting multiple topics for two different products, you'd understand just how impossible it is to do. The forum format works much better. As you know, I try to keep my replies, and those of our other moderators, timely.  So if we follow the forum model, then the work we do will be quickly answered, and you'll have the best support. 

Since live support is so very limited and constrained, the forum is much better for you.

Rob

Essentially, in short order, you won't have one, but your plus account is migrated to DMS.  If you were a Plus Member when DMS launched, your account was converted, and you have a license for DMS.

That's a very good thing, when you think about it.

diamond43

No chat coming back? I agree with Sheila. That was one of THE best features of Pageline for getting answers NOW. Not a good "people" decision.

Danny

Live Chat was being abused. It was never intended to be a solely for support, it was mean't to be a community chat channel for Plus users. The idea behind Live Chat was for all Plus users to engage in helping one another and share ideas, whilst being moderated by PageLines staff.

After the first week, we realised that users were logging in asking a question, receiving an answer from our support staff, then logging out again. There was no community in Live Chat, users were just logging in to get answers to their questions, thus completely by-passing the support forums, which is our main support resource.

The issue with providing support in Live Chat, is that the answers provided are only accessible to the Plus users and those who are logged in at the time. We prefer to all technical support in our forums, as they're accessible to all users and the answers are there indefinitely.

Another problem with Live Chat was that even though there was two indications via the MOTD (Message of the Day) that all customization questions need to be addressed in our forums, users persisted in asking customization questions in Live Chat. We also found that our support team were repeatedly answering the same questions, as users would create a forum topic for a specific question and if they didn't receive a reply within 15 minutes, they would pop in Live Chat and try to get their answer there instead.

We do have a public IRC channel but again this is solely for community chat, which you can find on Freenode #PageLines

Please search our forums, before posting!