Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

diamond43

404! Section Won't Drag & Drop

diamond43

All of my other sections d&d just fine, but when I click this one, then drag it, all that happens is that everything I "drag over" becomes highlighted.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Fix??

Rob

Did you create a new template for it?

I don't think 404 section will go into just any template.  I think it cannot have content/postloop on it.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

diamond43

I just deleted EVERY section, everything, in a new template. Still won't let me drag it anywhere.

James Giroux

I've not had this same issue but I have had some difficulty getting some sections to 'stick'.  My workaround is to just get it onto teh page somewhere, restart it and then try and move it around after that point.  Might for you, might not.

James Giroux, CEO
Groundwork

fliptheu

I am having the same issue. Do you have to go to a 404.php page to be able to style that type of page? It won't allow me to drag and drop when I do.

fliptheu

"Finding beauty one picture and one pixel at a time."

http://www.fliptheu.com

Rob

You shouldn't need to do that.  However, I think you should read our docs at http://docs.pagelines.com

diamond43

A link to the Home Page of the docs tells me that your reply indicates:

a. You don't the answer.

b. You don't know if it's in the docs or not, or you would have supplied a direct link.

c. You're assuming I haven't already looked in the docs.

d. You're getting tired and maybe short-tempered after 2-3 weeks of 24/7 Q&A following the server hack-a-thon. Understandable.

Anybody else have a thought on the original post in this thread?

Danny

The 404 Section will only work on 404 pages i.e. pages that you have search for that are no longer available or pages you have added the address bar that don't exist.

If you're trying to customize the 404 page, then all you need to do is.

When browsing your website, in the address bar add the following to the end of your sites URL

omgwtfbbq

So it should look like this:

http://www.example.com/omgwtfbbq

This should lead you to a 404 page, as it can't find any page/post called "omgwtfbbq". You can now edit the 404 page, add whatever sections you like and then create a new template, call it 404 and then assign it that page.

Please search our forums, before posting!

diamond43

omg-wtf-bbq? 

That's funny.....I get the first two segments, but the bar-b-que finishes it off just right.

Danny

HAHA!

nucleusmedia

The 404 Section will only work on 404 pages i.e. pages that you have search for that are no longer available or pages you have added the address bar that don't exist.

If you're trying to customize the 404 page, then all you need to do is.

When browsing your website, in the address bar add the following to the end of your sites URL

omgwtfbbq

So it should look like this:

http://www.example.com/omgwtfbbq

This should lead you to a 404 page, as it can't find any page/post called "omgwtfbbq". You can now edit the 404 page, add whatever sections you like and then create a new template, call it 404 and then assign it that page.

LOL best workaround ever. This worked :)

barkingsheltie

What am I doing wrong?

I turn off all plugins, same result. Delete cache, etc. 

In incognito tab, or other browser, the default 404 page does show up - however I would like to edit this. 

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool"
Richard P. Feynman

Rob

Does the rest of your site look like that or just the 404 page?

barkingsheltie

Just the 404 page Rob. I've been pretty successful using DMS with the rest of the site, slowly getting the hang. Those pages look as expected in DMS editor, and look fine when viewed from browsers. 

I tried on a windows 7 pc with fresh install of chrome, no chrome plugins, etc, same thing. 

Screenshot from safari showing default 404 is working. 

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool"
Richard P. Feynman

onlinetracker

What am I doing wrong?

I turn off all plugins, same result. Delete cache, etc. 

In incognito tab, or other browser, the default 404 page does show up - however I would like to edit this. 

I have some pages that look like that too, so I'd be interested in knowing the solution as well. It might work on my glitch. That only appears when I've got BuddyPress active though.

barkingsheltie

::BUMP::

Just wondering if anyone came up with a solution to mine & onlinetracker's 404 issues.  :rolleyes:

Richard P. Feynman

Danny

barkingsheltie

Can you provide a link to the site in question please, so I can take a closer look.

barkingsheltie

barkingsheltie

Can you provide a link to the site in question please, so I can take a closer look.

http://www.picotools.com/

http://www.picotools.com/omgwtfbbq

Danny, the site returns the default 404 page. Its just that when editing with DMS in chrome, I get the messed up version I posted screenshots too. 

Richard P. Feynman

onlinetracker

barkingsheltie

I've yet to be able to solve the problem, but I reverted back to Framework on any site that uses bbPress/BuddyPress, I've got a Dev license for both, so at least that isn't going to waste. DMS is fun to work with, but some things [like hunting down how to edit a 404 page] are just quirky. My old fixes that worked on Framework have no effect on DMS which is expected. I wish I had time to dig around more, but I do my development on a live site and don't advertise until the site is ready to go. I'll be watching for a fix, I hope one of us find it soon. Good luck.