Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Thomas

RevSlider Issues

Rob Thomas

Theoretically, I should be able to easily go into the Slider Configuration and recreate the slider in the Feature template.

However, this is not how I am finding this section "works." If I try to recreate the third slide on the Feature template, all I get is the BG image and no video shows up, even though I can put the video in the Slide Extra Elements and have it show up WITHOUT the BG image. If they are both in the Slider, only the BG image shows up. 

Additionally, If I put just the video in the slide, there is no way to center it. It just appears on the left of the screen. There's no option to center the Slide Extra Elements and basic HTML tags do nothing within the embed/video markup. 

Am I missing something here? Does it require something more to work "right" (beyond the options available in the Slider Configuration)?

Surely this cannot be how this section "works"? 

I have tried re-installing DMS and activating and reactivating my key. 

PS often times items added to the Slider Configuration aren't saved and simply disappear after saving. DMS has functioned this way for me since the beginning. 

Rob

Hi, Many apologies for the delay replying. Your topic seems to have been lost in the quagmire.

To be very honest, I've not used the RevSlider yet.   You said "and recreate the slider"  I presume you mean to clone a slide. I wasn't aware that slider could do that, so I'm not sure how to guide you here.  There's very little written about it in our docs because it's so new.

Can you tell me just how you clone the slide?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob Thomas
It's not about cloning. I was literally attempting to do exactly what the template does in RevSlider (in the third slide of the template you have a bg image with a video in front that is centered).

There's no obvious way to do this using the options available. Put in a BG image and the embed code for the video and you'll only see one or the other (I think the bg image). Put in just the video and there's no way to center it. My desire is not to clone. It's to use content exactly as shown in the template example provided by Pagelines. It works for slides with text, but not video on top of bg images. Does that make sense?

Rob Thomas

PS I suppose I should have clarified in the original post: I don't have any interest in recreating the slider in the template, just demonstrating that it is possible to do what it shows for the purposes of functionality (so I can create my own content). It seems not to be functional with video  (e.g. unlike the Features section which worked fine). 

Rob Thomas

Can someone please answer the question?

This has been an issue for me since the day of the launch. I waited a long time to ask for help because I knew how swamped you guys were, but it is a prominently featured section in DMS promotional materials and it should have this basic functionality. Are there instructions that haven't been written yet? What is going on? 

Rob

Rob, I must apologize. 

We're still swamped with many people far less patient and courteous than you, dealing with issues far less important than this. So I apologize, humbly for the delay.  I don't know, to be very candid, how our developers did that, and to be quite honest, haven't had 5 mins to myself to test the RevSlider. I promise to test it today.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob Thomas
Let me know what you find. I had to break down and purchase the separate Revolution Slider plug-in from Code Canyon, which required a bit of work/ discovery to implement in DMS. After a bit of messing around, I discovered that you could install the plugin as a widget and then use the Widgitizer in DMS to implement in a section. That gives you a drag and drop functionality for Code Canyon's slider.

Rob Thomas
So, what you're saying is that none of the configuration options available in DMS will allow me to add video without coding? Unlinke the Features section of Framework.

I just want to be clear on this. This is the Design Management System that is drag and drop. And easier to use than Framework. But it doesn't have the same functionality as Framework?

So, the product is sold as ... one thing. But in reality the product is ... something else.

Danny, everyone at Pagelines is in serious denial. Please stop and think for one minute as an end-user. Everything you and everyone providing "help" on this forums is saying is based on a coders, and not an end-users, experience and perspective. I can't believe the unprofessional psychodrama I've had to weigh through from you guys just to get basic information about how DMS works.

Is it possible to ask you to step away and consider what you've put your loyal end-users through?

I shouldn't have to buy a separate plug-in to implement this feature. I've already purchased DMS at a substantial cost. Telling me to code or get out is not what DMS sells itself as.

I'm sorry, but this feature is prominently figured in your promotion for DMS. And it does not work as advertised. If I can't put a BG image in and then a video on top of it without jumping through hoops, I can't possibly use this product.

I signed up for a Dev license, which is supposed to give you priority help. Tell me, is a week considered "priority"? And do you think, as Rob apparently does, that the failure of a feature as prominently featured as this one is in your templates and promotion is not a "priority" to address? Really? This is what you guys think? Is this "acceptable" to you?

Why would I pay you 27$ a month for this? I can buy themes that will support the same functionality as Framework, including Revilution Slider, out of the box. It might cost me a little more in the long run (for the number of sites I maintain), but it will actually work.

Do you want me to pay you 27$ a month based on where DMS will be in 6 months to a year?

You don't have a more patient and sympathetic subscriber than me: and just so you know, you've failed. In every way possible. There is no reason for me to subscribe to DMS. You can't provide support and your product doesn't work as well as Framework. Or, what is the same thing, it doesn't have the same functionality. It may have more functionality, in the future, but not now. And don't tell me, as Rob has told others, well "a professional developer wouldn't have upgraded." You are asking for and taking our money. Now. Not in the future when this product will actually work.

How could you not imagine that this would be a problem? I would be embarrassed to do this to people who had given me money for three years and earned my trust.

Please do yourselves a favor: listen to us. This is what you have asked of us: "upgrade to DMS or be left out. Oh, and, btw, DMS kind of doesnt work." You've made our decision for us.

One last question: how hard would it have been to make it so that end users could put a BG image and then a video over it in the Config options in the RevSlider? I know the answer: not very hard. And why would you put the RevSlider, showing this very functionality, in the template for the product and all of the promotion for the product, but then not provide that functionality to the end-user? Except, you know, if they code? Do you understand there might be a "slight" problem with this?

Think like end-users. Beta test (for more than 3 weeks) with actual end users. And when end users provide feedback on your forums, even if you don't like what they say, listen to them (they ARE your beta testers not your enemies). You have a good product, we were with you, for years, but honestly, the way you've handled this is bad. I'm sorry to say, I can't wait this one out. I can't wait 6 months for you to fix things, i don't have time for that. i really wish i did, but i have no choice but to go elsewhere.

Danny

Rob, I understand what you're saying but DMS is clearly easier to use than PageLines Framework. After almost being released for 2 years, I find myself still explaining to users the difference between the Page Template Area and the Content Area. Now this doesn't irritate me in the slightest, I am here to help and enjoying doing so.

But the fact that I have to explain, shows that PageLines Framework had a steep learning curve for new users. Now DMS on the other hand is much simpler to use, as everything is in your face. You can test the options of all sections and see them happen in front of you, you can even test your CSS/LESS with a live preview.

DMS wasn't designed to allow users to create any kind of site without coding, that kind of software just isn't possible. If it was, then you would end up using something called bloatware, meaning it has so many options that it would be insane to use. That amount of options would just cause confusion, a great example of this is with the amount of color options in Platform Pro. The amount of emails, forum posts we received from users asking what each one does, when they were documented inline, was clear to us that having 30 color options just for links and link states, says that these options shouldn't be part of the core code or options.

With DMS we have tried to get the balance right, this balance wont please everyone but from my experience using the product, the balance we have right now is almost perfect for new users both to Wordpress and PageLines.

Now with some custom code such as LESS, CSS, Javascript and PHP, DMS will allow you to build any site you can imagine, the only limitation is your coding skill level and imagination.

We plan on releasing a Legacy plugin for free in the store which will contain Banners, Boxes, Features, Branding, BrandNav, Carousel sections from PageLines Framework. However, due to our server attacks and the majority of our team focusing on resolving store issues for developers and rewriting the API, the release of the legacy plugin has been put on the backburner for the moment.

If you wish to use Features and other PL Framework sections, you can download the plugin here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/td816ccbrbg0xjk/pagelines-legacy-sections.zip

In Regards to your forum topic taking almost a week to receive a response, this is unacceptable and we apologise. We clearly missed your post, this was not intended but with the amount of issues, questions on the forums alone, we simply missed your it, again we apologise.

If you're unhappy with DMS, then you're free to continue to use PageLines Framework. However, if I was in your shoes, I would continue with DMS as it is clearly superior. There are some things that are coming to light now which will be addressed in the near future. So the power of DMS will only improve with every coming update. Our store developers will be creating better and more awesome sauce sections, plugins and themes. That are just not possible on PageLines Framework. So I would stick with it, but the choice is entirely up to you.

Believe us when we say this, we listen to our customers, you guys are the reason DMS exists. When developing DMS, we reviewed our forums, emails and took all the feedback from PageLines Framework and tried to create a product that was awesome for both new users and developers. Allowing you to create awesome websites for yourselves and your clients. In my opinion, I think we did a pretty good job. 

If you have any ideas for new features or enhancements, please feel free to post an issue on our GitHub tracker - https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues

Correct me if I'm wrong (haven't used PL Framework extensively in months), but in the Features section you still had to use embed code to add a video to the features section, so RevSlider is no different.

We take all criticism on the chin and review it all and see if there is anything we can do to resolve or ease our users experience. However, one thing you must understand is that we do not want DMS or any of our products to be bloated with options. Although at first it sounds a good idea, it really isn't in practice.

If you can reply here with a list of all your issues, we can try to address them.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Rob Thomas
Thanks for your honesty and professionalism, Danny. I know how tough all of you have it. And anyone who takes on this kind of work, you have my empathy.

I'm exhausted and going to bed right now. I love learning new things especially scripting/ coding, related to web design. However, I have no time. I was hoping that having priority help and a Dev license would give me a chance to get pointed in the right directions for doing that But I literally couldn't get past the RevSlider (it was a stumbling block for me). I'm building a brand new course at SFSU in the fall (that im still conceptualizing) and I wanted to create the website while I was planning and developing it (as coextensive creative acts). Instead, I got stuck on the slider. I'm an old (sounds weird to say that) multimedia person: I worked on Encarta, and other education software during the dot.com boom, so crap like Director with Lingo, ActionScript, HTML, JavaScript. But I got my Ph.d. In something completely different and now I'm an overworked adjunct teaching 400 students a semester and over 800 students a year. I have no time for anything else (although sometimes I build custom Puch motorbikes from the 70's). . These short periods between terms are the only time I have to do any of this kind of work, which I need to plan and build my course websites. I have one week of summer session left, then final grades for summer, then a week off --which i devote to this kind of work--before Fall starts (2 weeks from today), so we'll see what I get done. And where that leaves me vis-a-vis Pagelines.

Danny

Hi Rob,

With your time being limited, I would recommend installing the Legacy Plugin and use the Features Section that you're used too. This way, you wont have to spend time learning the RevSlider, which I think needs some documentation. I didn't create any docs for the RevSlider or any other sections as all their options are documented inline.

However, I will start one very soon and I will cover adding a video to the slider.

Also, if you're interested in learning new code etc. when you have time, I would suggest checking out the links provided on our how to customize doc, scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://docs.pagelines.com/customize/how-to-customize

It provides a list of services that learn you to code. Code School and Codec Academy are pretty awesome.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• stijnxo
      By stijnxo+
      The Filtering of categories in the Masonic Gallery refreshes back to ALL categories when the DMS Revslider loads a new image?
      Anybody any idea? See Artists Category refreshes back to ALL when the DMS Revslider with images on the top loads a news image on http://www.18hrsfestival.nl/
    • carl
      By carl+
      Trying to convert a site over to PL5 from DMS2. Can we use revslider? Can any portion of DMS2 be editable or imported through PL5?
      I'm trying to wrap my head around the new PL5 os, but things have changed so much it like learning a new software. I DO like the new UI! Great job.
    • jennajonesdesign
      By jennajonesdesign+
      Hi Guys, 
      I just went live with this site. http://bikenet.org/
      I can see the video background in Firefox, Chrome and IE on my computer as well as my husband's computer and my phone. So I am not able to see any problem. 
      But, my client says she cannot see the video background in Chrome?? Any ideas? 
      Let me know. Thanks!

Jenna
    • Bleuy
      By Bleuy+
      Problem: Full Screen Revslider content runs off the screen on mobile devices (particularly calls to action buttons).  I've used the <br> to break up the text, however the call to action buttons run off the screen.  Therefore without making the fix too technical (and I can see some VERY technical resolutions on here) my client just wants to simple centre justify the text when being viewed on a mobile device.  
      Any ideas on how best to achieve this in a simple, non too technical way?
      Thanks very much in advance

• AliceNicholls
      By AliceNicholls+
      Hi there,
      I'm trying to place the menu bar on top of a Revslider image using negative top margins and z-scores to place the Revslider under the menu as per this forum post: https://forum.pagelines.com/topic/37996-menu-inside-full-width-slider/
      It looks great in Chrome and Safari but in Firefox the slider doesn't spread out across the page. Instead it stops when it collides with the items in the menu (i.e. logo and menu items). Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?
      The full site is here: http://seemly-hobby.flywheelsites.com/
      Thanks a lot!
      Al