Sign in to follow this  
eusebius

Using a Top Left Crop on Featured Images

eusebius+    3
eusebius

Hello,

I am a new DMS customer enjoying the framework very much thus far.

There is one problem, though. It seems that the Post Content Loop is rendering featured images using a method that crops images from the center rather than top left. The end result is that all of my featured images have the top chopped off.

I am aware that there are several ways to change this, including hacking core, adding a function to the theme, and more. I found a plugin entitled 'Thumbnail Crop Position', which seems very promising, but I cannot make it work yet.

Any suggestions for accomplishing this?

Thank you

Rob    547
Rob

Hi,

I don't believe PageLines DMS is actually doing that.  Rather, I believe WordPress is delivering the thumbnail version of your image.  If you look at the options WordPress provides when Setting Featured Image, you'll see you have the options to use the full-size image, and three pre-set sizes. Most people leave it to 150px by 150px, so if you have a 600px square image, it will resize, but if the image is 600 by 900px, it will crop from center.

I've been telling people for the longest time that because IE doesn't handle image cropping very well (or at all), the best practice is to resize your images manually, and have a thumbnail version you upload separately as the featured image.

Alternatively, you can set a different size for your feature images via Dashboard > Settings > Media.

This won't take immediately.  You'll need to use a plugin called Regenerate Thumbnails http://wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/ to tell WordPress to rebuild the image library.  This can take a while if you have many, but it works.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you need further help.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• BentleyD
      By BentleyD+
      Hey there,

I am working on BentleyRolling.com. I used grams on MoonbodySoul.com and all the images are cropped to a square, whether they are square or 4:5 when posted on instagram, they still get cropped to a square. This looks way better than some being squares and some being 4:5. Did something change since I designed MoonBodySoul.com with Platform5? Can you help me crop all images to a square on BentleyRolling.com 

All the best,

Bentley
    • globalnative
      By globalnative+
      Hi there!
      I'm trying to create a featured image for my new blog post. It has text in it, and when I add it as a featured image some of the text is cut off on the right.
      Could I get the ideal dimensions for featured images? Or, a way to customise the dimensions so that they are easier to fit in the way I need?
      Thank you kindly
      Nate

• BlueSkyCreative
      By BlueSkyCreative+
      Hi there
      I have postgrid on a new site I am developing and want to try using png images as a featured image, but they are rendering on the page as a black square?
      Any ideas as to why? 
      the site example is here http://orionglobalms.com/ scroll down to our services section and the first one has a png image as a featured image

Many thanks
      Paul

• MissT
      By MissT+
      The featured images from the search results page seem to be missing - the featured images are there when you view the individual posts and on the Magazine section blog page but there are broken links on the Search Results page. See screen shot...
      WP - 4.4.2
      Platform5 - 5.0.132
      Can provide a link to the site privately.
      Many thanks in advance.

• opwolken
      By opwolken
      I'm wondering if it's possible to apply the featured image to a page's canvas area?
      I would like to have the featured image in a canvas on the matching page.
      Thanks!