Sign in to follow this  
Skip

Converting Current Theme & Content To DMS

Skip

Hello

I'm looking to convert the Lunar Theme By e404 Themes Version 1.6 to DMS.

We have a large website and lots of content.

Does anyone have any experience or know the best way to convert what you currently have in another wordpress theme to DMS?  Simply uploading DMS and activating theme is a BIG NO GO!

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration.

Wishing you all the best of Providence.

Skip

Rob

Skip,

Converting any large website from a theme to something new will always be a challenging undertaking. DMS lets you create as many templates as you need, so that's where I'd start. Create your global elements first (header, footer, etc), and then work on the local templates needed to match or emulate your older theme.

Then apply the templates as needed to your content.

You can learn more about this via http://docs.pagelines.com/configure/using-templates  and more about using DMS at http://docs.pagelines.com/

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Skip

Hello

Thank you for the response.  I understand your suggestion and it does make sense.

In the meantime, I have my current large website with lots of content.  I can't stop what we do now and be without the website until the new one is built.  What would be the best way to work on the new website with DMS and when it is ready take it live?

Thank you again for your thoughtful consideration.

Wishing you all the best of Providence.

Skip

Rob

Skip, create subdomain, dev.yoursite.com. Have your server assign it to a folder.  Install WP, then DMS in the folder. 

Export some of your data from the main site. If your server will let you upload the max (256Mb) in one file, export all your content.

Import it to the dev site. Use Dashboard > Tools for exporting and importing. 

Now, you'll have a site where you can develop the templates I suggested, test things and create all your CSS. When you're ready, all you need to do is port everything over from the test site to the old one and activate DMS. No significant interference with the old site. 

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur