Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrericm

Internet Explorer 8

mrericm

I feel silly even asking about this, the only reason I ask is because on the DMS docs it does list IE8+ as being a supported browser: http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/system-requirements 

However while creating a layout with DMS, we've tested IE8 and are getting less than ideal results:

6LGIOux.png

I did verify that IE8 had "Compatibility Mode" turned off, all other wordpress plugins disabled, and also a layout built in DMS from scratch (Not a pagelines 2 upgrade). 

Note the layout issues with the Search button on the navbar, the issues with the iBox images, etc. 

For reference, here is Safari 6, which looks fine:

pIONFDN.png

So, I guess my question is how formal is the IE8 support? I looked briefly but didn't see an IE compatibility script as in the earlier pagelines version.

Thanks for any advice!

Rob

Hi,

I think the problem isn't DMS or our IE8 compatibility, but the compatibility between IE8 and image sizes in WordPress, which is a well documented issue. 

IE has traditionally been unable to cope well with image scaling.  So, if you see an image scaled to 100px square in Firefox or Chrome, but the original source image is 200px square, in iE, it will display full-sized, not scaled.

When the images aren't scaled, they overlap a limited space and push content into different format or layouts.  So, what you see of small thumbnails in a row, three across, you'll see two across in a grid in iE8. 

This has been a long-term problem going back to my earliest days with WordPress in 2007.  I had hoped the guys at Microsoft would have resolved this by now, but alas, nothing.  Even IE10 has issues with scaling image sizes.

Now as for a solution.  Make your images the exact size that you want to see them.  Don't rely upon image scaling or resizing by WordPress.  It works everywhere else, but not IE and if IE8 is important to you, the only way to fix it is to resize using a graphics editor like Photoshop, then uploading and replacing the originals.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

nfp1900

Personally when I had some issues in v2 and IE8 not displaying with some features  I sent my client this link http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp

They realised they were in the dark ages,  installed Chrome and the issue went away. Of course it depends on your client's requirements but with a user base worldwide of only 4.9% you have to weigh up the additional development costs. 

Rob

I can understand why some are so concerned about IE8.  Many companies and certainly government clients require IE8, as they haven't updated computer systems yet. IE8, while old and outdated is stuck on many computers where contract computer purchases will not allow for upgrades. Though upgrades are free for most of us, they are expensive for governments and companies.  It's a fact many developers who don't work with government don't understand.

That siad, there is just so much one may do to try and fix things for IE8.

mrericm

Right, the main reason we even care slightly is that IE8 is the most modern browser you can have on Windows XP without additional software (Chrome, FF, etc), as IE9+ require at least Windows Vista. And until Microsoft ends extended support for Windows XP (~8 months from now) we are stuck needing to support it.

I did try the image resizing and got so-so results, there are still issues (Such as the quickslider not showing up), but I think we'll just heave to deal with it.

Rob

Yes, unfortunately, living with it may be the only solution. Things like Quick Slide, built on Twitter Bootstrap just won't work well in IE8. 

enkreativbyra

I can understand that you don't want to support IE7. But IE8 is still very common, and I cannot belive how anyone can say that "if you're using it you're still in the dark ages" and should upgrade.

The gasoline-example is spot on. There is still an awful lot of people using IE8 and DMS isn't even close to working in IE8. Pagelines.com is a pretty good example.

I really like DMS, but it _has_ to have better support for at least IE8.

mrericm

If DMS doesn't support IE8, I'm fine with that - I understand the challenges.

However, if that's the case, this page needs to read "IE9+" under the requirements. Listing IE8 as a "Supported" browser is just false and misleading when not all features (In fact, many features) aren't supported in IE8.

Don't get me wrong, still very happy with DMS! But that page needs updated.

Rob

Well, the thing is, most of DMS does work in IE8. It's only some bits that don't.

Glad to hear you like DMS. :D

allenkiely

I too have issues with the fact that DMS doesn't support ie8.

When you have stated in your sales documents that you DO support ie8, in short you have lied about what DMS is optimized for.

I have such a client that I have developed a site for that is a large organization that is running XP with IE8 and has not plans to upgrade.

A serious case in point is the fact that Quickslider is not supported, which I have used through the site on landing pages etc.

Bottom line is I need to find a solution, as they are demanding that it is optimized for ie8. This for a commercial event, that went live a view days ago, hence why I used a "Licensed" DMS

i tried to attached screen-grabs and your upload feature failed, but if you view the site on XP in IE8, none of the formatting/styling holds its position and the quick-slider doesn't event display.

I have spend many days developing this site and don't fancy the idea of having to try find alternative at this stage

www.britishmilitarytournament.com

If "pagelines" can contact me directly as this is a major problem that I need a solution for ASAP