dario

Phoning home?

dario

The expected (and unexpected) DMS roll out issues brings up a couple of questions for me. I don't want to stir the coals, mostly because I am a PL fan. Still . . .

FIrst, let's say I design a site for a client (using a paid version of DMS) and I hand it off to them. At that point it seems that I have a choice to make in order to keep their site functioning as I left it (with pro features).

1. Keep their site under my control (and keep paying for DMS pro)
  2. Let the client control their site and they pay for DMS pro)

As I understand it, this is correct. No?

Second, it seems to me that DMS must phone home at some point, otherwise how could the site know whether to reinstate the PL logo (or whatever happens when you are not current with payments). But that brings me to the unthinkable. What if PL folds? Or, as seems to be happening now, PL has server issues? Then my client's site wouldn't be able to make contact in order to prove it's legal. At that point won't their site revert to the free version of DMS?

illinimatt81

The expected (and unexpected) DMS roll out issues brings up a couple of questions for me. I don't want to stir the coals, mostly because I am a PL fan. Still . . .

FIrst, let's say I design a site for a client (using a paid version of DMS) and I hand it off to them. At that point it seems that I have a choice to make in order to keep their site functioning as I left it (with pro features).

1. Keep their site under my control (and keep paying for DMS pro)
  2. Let the client control their site and they pay for DMS pro)

As I understand it, this is correct. No?

Second, it seems to me that DMS must phone home at some point, otherwise how could the site know whether to reinstate the PL logo (or whatever happens when you are not current with payments). But that brings me to the unthinkable. What if PL folds? Or, as seems to be happening now, PL has server issues? Then my client's site wouldn't be able to make contact in order to prove it's legal. At that point won't their site revert to the free version of DMS?

I'm very concerned about what happens if PL got hacked again or worse. That is why I am so opposed to subscription models. They introduce risk to a business vs owning outright. I think what we are seeing is the risk you have to be willing to accept with PL.

Optimize Press 2.0 is launching today and for what I do it may end up being a better solution, plus it is a one time fee.

I'll be making my decision on staying with PL or looking to go elsewhere in the coming days. Pagelines keeps trying to justify the subscription and the pricing. To me that is not the issue. Money is no issue for me. I gladly pay developers for work all the time. The issue is I OWN MY WEBSITE and no one else. I don't want to give up any control or introduce risk where there is none presently for little benefit.

Say their server gets hacked again and goes down. What happens to my site? Sounds like the pro features get disabled and for the privilege of being inconvenienced my site gets a credit link back to Pagelines. I'm sure that can be defeated with CSS and a display none line but that is not the point.

Owning is better than renting. Period.

As customers of a subscription system, we should expect a Pagelines SLA with uptime guarantees and financial penalties as compensation for time they are down just as we would for any other critical piece to our business such as web hosting.

• Like 1