Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lukky753

Nextgen Gallery Section

lukky753
Hey Guys,
Recently installed DMS and really enjoying it.  I am looking for a gallery section that will utilize an existing Nextgen or Wordpress gallery.  I tried Popthumbs as well as purchasing Trickle, but both require me to upload pictures from the section configuration area rather than being able to select a gallery that I have already created.

Little help?

Thanks!

Rob

Hi

I believe (haven't tested this), that if you create new page in WordPress, then click "Add Media" (the button above the editing area), you can install a WordPress gallery from settings, directly into the edit area. There may be no need to add any code or plugins.  You can then use DMS to style, layout and add sections to that page.

Alternatively, if you create a new page, and use Visual Editor to set nothing on it except one, two or three columns, you can add a text area in one of them and include in the text the shortcode you get for a gallery from one of the plugins.  I do not recommend NextGen presently, as there are some reported issues with it.  Any gallery that provides a shortcode for implementation should let you do this.

I hope this helps.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

lukky753

Thanks for replying Rob, 

The problem that I'm running into is that I'd like it to show up on my home page, and I know that I could create a whole separate page that looks almost identical and put the correct DMS sections on it to make it look correct, but i just thought it would be nice to have a section that handled this for me instead, seems like a relatively easy thing since there are image gallery sections already...just that none of them support using a Wordpress gallery as far as I can find.

Mike

Danny

Can you just use Nextgen Gallery via its shortcodes in a textbox ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

lukky753

I actually thought of that right away but when I do that, it shows up with code (below) rather than the images.  Are you able to glean anything from it?  Thanks again.

class="ngg-galleryoverview"
id="ngg-gallery-b80f49cd4bf4a77ac77a75e00d15007c-1">

Rob

If you go to their website, you can get an earlier version of Nextgen and replace the current one with the older. That may help.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

lukky753

Thanks again everyone for all your help.  I was able to make this happen using a version of what Danny said.  Placing the shortcode in a textbox DMS component always gave me errors (even after I was able to get the images to show up on a standard page - there were some issues with the new version of Nextgen Gallery).  What I was able to do Is use the shortcode in a text sidebar widget on a new sidebar that I created and then use the Widgetizer component to add that widget to my main page and everything shows up perfectly. 

Thanks again!

Danny

No problem, happy to help.

Please search our forums, before posting!