Sign in to follow this  
webmktco

Managed WordPress Hosting- ya or nay?

webmktco

I've been using HostGator for a while, but just this past week they upgraded their servers.  While I've never really had any issues with their service, this upgrade required that I update all of my clients' DNS.

I'm at a point were I don't have time to do things like this.  I've heard about managed WordPress hosting, but don't know if this is a good option- especially for agencies that host 40+ WP sites.  (I should note that my clients' WP sites aren't that big.  Most of them are 10 pages, with a couple new posts each month.  Very little traffic compared to ecomm sites- 100- 1000 visits per month).

I just signed up w/ Flywheel, but I don't know much about their service.

Any advice?

Rob

Even if you have small sized sites, because WordPress uses increasingly larger amounts of RAM with each upgrade, as does PL,  I'd suggest going with a managed dedicated server, where you can upgrade resources. These are becoming less expensive every day, and competition is fiercely driving prices down.

Why a dedicated server? Well, it gives you expansion capacity; keeps your speed high, and offers greater protections for security. 

I moved from a managed VPS to a dedicated server, and have vastly improved my speed and resources, and I host my very large site (250K+ posts, over 10K pages) plus 9 other sites, some of which are large but not that large, on it.  I still have room to grow.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur