Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psiencesociety

Rev Slider Image Size Issues

psiencesociety

I am struggling with this one. I created an image as suggested @ 2000W x 800H. I am able to upload it, but it crops the image so I cannot see the whole thing?

So I guess what is the true size I need to make the canvas so the WHOLE image shows??

Update: I shrank the image size (image quality, not canvas) via photoshop. I am very much in the filesize limitation (which @ 0.5 I am really not liking that) and its still cropping.

So essentially if the entire image was for example:

This

Does Not 

Work

all you would see is Does not and maybe slices of the words above and below. 

Help?

...Oh...I am adding it to the template section

Update: It seems like its hyper zooming in on the image causing the distortion. No clue what to do about it, how to fix it or if its something I am doing wrong. I even tried smaller images of 900x300

Rob

Hi,

First, it's important to know the difference between scaling and cropping. 

Next, you need to make sure you're not supersizing the images.

Then, it's important to know that browsers will crop based on the monitor size.

So, if you're using a 2000px wide image, then you'll see the image will be cropped -- unless your visitor is looking at it on a monitor that's 1980px wide, like a large-screen television.    The browser and DMS will not take an image that large and scale it down to fit the viewable space.  Supersize, for example, stretches a smaller image to fill a larger space, but not the other way around.

Supersizing is proportional.  So, if you have a space of 1000px by 400px, but used an image of 500px by 400px, it will proportionally scale up to 1000px, but be 800px high.  The container is still only half the height, so it is going to crop.

Since everything seems to be hyper-zooming, make sure you do not have any option set in the slider that scales, sizes, resizes or supersizes the image.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

psiencesociety

Ive been over your answer many times and have made no sense of it

I have tried all variations of size on the image with the same result.

I understand about scaling, croping and the like. When I was placing images in any of the pagelines boxes, post, or multi, I never ran into this issue. Most importantly you say in your post reply to

>>"make sure you do not have any option set in the slider that scales, sizes, resizes or supersizes the image."

There are no options like that at all anyway. Unlike pagelines there is no option to do anything to the image at all other than upload it. There are no common sense options whatsoever. I even tried ctr (+)(-) to no result.

Help?

psiencesociety

I still have not been able to get this to work...Is there anyone that can help me get out of this rut of being stuck, I really need to get this working so I can move on.

Rob Thomas

psiencesociety, I feel for you. 

have you done a search for RevSlider on this forum. I believe this question was answered already on here. 

Unfortunately, no one has yet to answer my question on RevSlider video. 

It seems like there is an absence of documentation for this feature, which is unfortunate given how prominently it is featured. 

psiencesociety

Thank you DaddyPony. I did do a search and it didn't answer the question that I know of, I will have to look again.

I have been obsessively playing with this one feature as it will be what pops to the user at open so its pretty important as the intro to the page. Regardless of size it seems like it warps the image according to the size of the browser window (which I accidental found out as I was resizing chrome to access a window behind). Here's the major problem with that. I create my own image with text on the image (since the text option on the box itself is HORRIBLE (yes I shouted that). I cant choose placement other than right, left, and center, and none of those positions are good enough. Not to mention I cannot choose the font, its size, anything. The image has no options as well. I am sorry to say this but so far Platform Pro worked so much better than this DMS when it comes to options to control.

So the main problem with the box warping my image is if the user has their browser at a certain size (and all will be different) then the image has parts of it chopped, cut, warped and so forth. I just dont get why it works this way when image integrity worked beautifully in platform and pagelines. Its like a step back on the feature slider!? Did you guys test this stuff?

So now I am left trying to figure out how to have a feature slider style box on my frontpage that will maintain the integrity of my images...Is this going to be possible>??

psiencesociety

psiencesociety, I feel for you. 

have you done a search for RevSlider on this forum. I believe this question was answered already on here. 

Unfortunately, no one has yet to answer my question on RevSlider video. 

It seems like there is an absence of documentation for this feature, which is unfortunate given how prominently it is featured. 

Could you link the solve? I dont know if I am just missing it but I cant find the answer in past postings.

psiencesociety

Actually at this point I would even take code as to how to make the image maintain its full integrity so to not get chopped if anyone knows what I can enter. I am just a single user who makes their own site and no coding experience.

psiencesociety

Something else I just discovered. I loaded a page under the templates option. The middle one, "Feature Template" which has at its heart, the rev slider with stock images for DMS promo. I left it as it, previewed it and wouldnt you know it, despite resizing the browser window the image integrity remained...grrrr. Is there really no one else that is having this problem?

psiencesociety

I would also like to state for the record, to the dev team. Only having an "upload" from local has lead to many, many copies of the same file on my server. So now I am finding myself running Filezilla in the back deleting all the extra files whle I try and get this one feature to work properly. How long before that update to add the "from server" button??

-Signed

Frustrated and getting nowhere with my homepage :(

Rob Thomas
There are lots of problems with RevSlider and an absence of answers (in plain English) from "staff" on this site. I am really frustrated too.

I believe your question is answered in this thread (though you might have to transliterate the explanations given).

http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/28261-rev-slider/?hl=revslider#entry165052

psiencesociety

Thank you Daddypony...I went through the post again and followed what atcdomainsolutions did as he says he got it working. I suspect his image was one that has a constant like color or something as I have tried doing the way he did to no avail.

It seems that as the image you upload is a "Background" image the code sees fit to warp it pending on all factors such as browser size, resolution, ect...all according to the viewer. Which in my opinion CSS did a great job since it didn't matter what size/resolution/browser the user was using, the image/page maintained its integrity. Not only do I completely not understand the DEV team when they were coding this app, (forgetting to add a "from Server" option, no options for the image itself, no options for the text, font, size or placement other than "Right/Left/Center" - of which all 3 are horrible placement), but I honestly feel like they just slapped together something "good enough" to get out on the fly. So now I've paid money to be a beta tester. Frankly, I am quite tired of paying software developers money for a product to be their personal beta testers...

I know it will be better with time, but that doesn't help all of us that need functioning/presentable websites yesterday...

psiencesociety

*bump*

Has anyone any suggestions (maybe with code?) on how to get that background image to stay put?

Rob

The only suggestion I can make is a graphic one... which is to make the sides of your image, at least 100px on either side, a neutral color or pattern, so that if it's cropped, your core image is still visible.

I still think this issue is due to the browser resolution and size.  I've tested a 2000 x 800 px image on my development site and viewed it on a laptop and it was cropped.  As soon as I plugged in my HDMI and viewed the same site through the same computer on my 32" television monitor, no cropping. The whole image was seen. Of course, that has 1980px resolution.

psiencesociety

Rob,

When you say browser resolution, are you referring to the resolution of the desktop? Either way in chrome I have set to default (Ctrl+0) and tried Ctrl+ +(-) to the same effect. That includes using various sizes on the banner image. From 2000x800/1000x400/900x300/800x200....All of them cropped the top and bottom of the image so as to not be able to read what was near the edges (It was like I was seeing the image through a rectangular magnifying glass). But again, I did notice that if I re-sized the browser I could get it to show right. But only if I re-sized that browser "just right". My main point being, what I loved about Platform was that despite the image size it shows correctly no matter what size the image was as that image was fixed. It makes no sense the other way as everyone is going to have different sized browsers/desktops/mobile etc. Why it was coded that way makes no sense at all.

Is there some way I can enter a code to fix the image size so as to not be morphed/cropped? I'd like to get past this issue since there is no option to do pretty much anything to the image within that "edit" option. In this case, oddly enough, DMS steps backwards in usability (on the feature slide page) compared to platformpro.

Danny

Can you provide a link to your site please so I can take a closer look.

Please search our forums, before posting!

psiencesociety

here's the test site home that I have been toying with but never got past Rev. I would love it to work like the feature in Platform

http://empathicguide.net/

using the Feature Template. I did this image 960x330...As a side note, the edge of the Rev Slider is to the edge of chrome and I cannot adjust the width. How can I get my mouse to the cross stage in order to be able to adjust that?

thank you.

Rob

RevSlider is a full-width section and isn't adjustable.  It's designed to be that way.

If you need a slider that fits within a content area, you need to use one of the sliders in our Shop (http://pagelines.com/shop) or you can find a plugin from other sources that's up to date with WP 3.6. Shop items will be added as sections, but plugins can be applied via shortcode.

psiencesociety

So if I want a "Slider" that basically works right, I have to pay more money...isn't that convenient.

tiltcreative

I am having the same problem too, I'm wondering if it might be better to size it for smaller screens and let it supersize a bit? How do you pagelines people do it?

lotussocial

I am frustrated for the same reasons as other users here. Pagelines pulled an excellent product out from under us, even though many of us had paid for a lifetime developer theme, Pagelines Pro Developer, forcing us into DMS at additional expense. DMS is very glitchy and does not perform as advertised. Those of us who are professional web designers now have lots of client sites build with Platform Pro that need conversion to a new theme, but moving to DMS is a nightmare because DMS is filled with problems. Even the image dimensions Pagelines instructs us to use are wrong (2000x600), yielding images that crop randomly instead of responsive resizing when viewed on different screens. I haven't found any dimensions that will allow an image in the rev slider to stay consistent when screen sizes change. Tried all the various settings and none will keep the images from cropping. This is a huge issue. Like others here I'm resorting to placing my own text in the slider images since the options in the rev slider are horrid from a design sense and we have no way to change the font, etc. I feel ripped off and this is wasting my time. What is the timeline for fixing this?

greenfly

No one pulled any products from underneath you you can still use the Framework as you did originally. No one has forced you to use DMS and DMS is not glitchy and does perform as advertised,. there are a bugs reported that are being fixed. If you have any specific glitches please create a new topic and they will be investigated. 

If you want to continue using Framework you can downlaod your products and extension by logging into http://pagelines.com/launchpad

All the collected extra content for the Framework can be downlaoded from here https://www.dropbox.com/s/muyy8k5xcjvbvlo/Framework-included-content.zip

If you feel ripped off please email the desk on hello at pagelines dot com. 

if you meant the timescale for fixing this issue you are commenting on a topic from August 2013. DMS 2 has been released and updating should resolve any issues. Again - any issues with DMS 2 please create a topic. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

martinjrob

How do you stop it super sizing? 

Danny

martinjrob - How do you stop what from super sizing, the RevSlider ? 

Please search our forums, before posting!