illinimatt81

Brand Nav, Blog Settings and Header Tags in DMS

illinimatt81

In playing around with DMS on my test server I have been unable to locate the following that was in Framework:

-Blog settings page (select magazine layout or regular layout, post excerpt length, meta information, etc)

-Setting for the Header H1-H6 Tags (Style and color)

-The Brand Nav section. I see it in an image on the slider as the stand in graphic, but I see no option to return the brand nav header to my site instead of the fixed nav.

Am I missing something? I feel as if I have gone through all the options. 

navigador

In playing around with DMS on my test server I have been unable to locate the following that was in Framework:

-Blog settings page (select magazine layout or regular layout, post excerpt length, meta information, etc)

-Setting for the Header Tags (Style and color)

-The Brand Nav section. I see it in an image on the slider as the stand in graphic, but I see no option to return the brand nav header to my site instead of the fixed nav.

Am I missing something? I feel as if I have gone through all the options. 

Oh dear I am frustrated. I know the PL guys are working hard at this, but I have a product I can't use properly. I have upgraded to DMS Bus and I've read the docs 3 times. I can't find out how to generate a posts loop on a page. I want all posts for a category to appear as summary posts on a page. How the heck do you do that?. I discovered a way to get my logo above the header, but posts are another thing! I've not switched on V2 compability I just want DMS to work. Some examples in the docs would be great... IF you want to have poosts summarized on a WP page this is how you do it... An idiots guide is required IMHO...

Danny
illinimatt81 A legacy plugin will be available in the store once everything has been addressed with the API, this will contain all the old sections from PageLines Framework including BrandNav. navigador The Post loop has a number of options, click the edit icon and configure the options. If you wish for your posts to only display the excerpt, this should be set by default.

Please search our forums, before posting!

illinimatt81

Thanks Danny. Is the intent of this coming legacy plugin to enable these sections in Framework to carry over to DMS?

Danny
Not sure what you mean ? The Legacy plugin contains the following sections Banners, Branding, BrandNav, Boxes, Features and so on. When the plugin is installed/activated, these sections will then be displayed in DMS Toolbar > Add Sections for you to use.

illinimatt81

Thanks Danny. Is the intent of this coming legacy plugin to enable these sections in Framework to carry over to DMS?

Hi Danny

So you are saying it is available in the paid version then.

I think herein lies the problem and the source of many people reporting issues of things not working or being what they were in Framework.

There never was a free version with Platform Pro or Framework - only paid. Everyone was on the same playing field.

Now, given there is a crippled free version and a full paid version we aren't comparing apples to apples in talking about how to accomplish things. I for one am using the free version to test and evaluate migrating from Framework and allowing Pagelines to come back online from the hack before upgrading.

As a result, I had no idea such a plugin already existed. There is no indication with in the sections or store in the DMS interface that such a plugin exists. It is very confusing when some of the plugins that are only for pro are grayed out and say pro only, but other ones that exist don't show up at all. I took it as what was in the theme is all that is available so it appeared we were going backwards.

I think if you look at many of the other comments along these lines it seems there are a lot of threads and confusion around this.

This incorrectly led me as a prior customer of Framework and my evaluation of DMS to not have the full picture of the product. A 30 day free trial and then reverting to non-pro would be a more effective business model for you as someone is more apt to pay after they get their site developed. They can also see everything that pro has to offer.

In the meantime, may I suggest breaking the DMS forum into basic vs paid and then having sub forums such as tech support, customoizations, etc just as was done for Framework and Platform Pro so that it is easier to find content and also so that everyone is talking about the same version of DMS clearing up confusion.

illinimatt81

Not sure what you mean ? The Legacy plugin contains the following sections Banners, Branding, BrandNav, Boxes, Features and so on. When the plugin is installed/activated, these sections will then be displayed in DMS Toolbar > Add Sections for you to use.

Danny So you are saying it is available in the paid version then.

I think herein lies the problem and the source of many people reporting issues of things not working or being what they were in Framework.

There never was a free version with Platform Pro or Framework - only paid. Everyone was on the same playing field.

Now, given there is a crippled free version and a full paid version we aren't comparing apples to apples in talking about how to accomplish things. I for one am using the free version to test and evaluate migrating from Framework and allowing Pagelines to come back online from the hack before upgrading.

As a result, I had no idea such a plugin already existed. There is no indication with in the sections or store in the DMS interface that such a plugin exists. It is very confusing when some of the plugins that are only for pro are grayed out and say pro only, but other ones that exist don't show up at all. I took it as what was in the theme is all that is available so it appeared we were going backwards.

I think if you look at many of the other comments along these lines it seems there are a lot of threads and confusion around this.

This incorrectly led me as a prior customer of Framework and my evaluation of DMS to not have the full picture of the product. A 30 day free trial and then reverting to non-pro would be a more effective business model for you as someone is more apt to pay after they get their site developed. They can also see everything that pro has to offer.

In the meantime, may I suggest breaking the DMS forum into basic vs paid and then having sub forums such as tech support, customoizations, etc just as was done for Framework and Platform Pro so that it is easier to find content and also so that everyone is talking about the same version of DMS clearing up confusion.

navigador

There is no legacy plugin at the moment in paid version! 

Rob

My my, you guys are beginning to write more than I do.  That's very bad. I thought I was the only one here that was so long-winded. :D

Here's the scoop.  Go to http://launchpad.pagelines.com.  Login.  If you're not a paid client for some product,  you may not have a launchpad account.

Navigate your browser to launchpad.pagelines.com/api/store_free/ and look down the list for plugin-pagelines-legacy-sections.zip.

Don't ask me how you install it, how to use it, or what else it's going to do.  We've not yet been told. It's that new. You're on your own there.  If you break your sites, please don't come back crying, as I don't even know if this is really ready.

Meanwhile, keep smiling, as we're evidently working on it.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

illinimatt81

Thanks for the share Rob

Rest assured, I am trying everything out thus far only on my localhost.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Danny

Danny So you are saying it is available in the paid version then.

You seem to be putting words into my mouth, I never once said that the Legacy plugin was for premium version of DMS only nor did I say that is already available.

I simply said that there will be as far as I know, a legacy plugin containing some of the sections that were available in PageLines Framework will be available in the store. Whether or not this is going to be made exclusively available to users of the premium version, I couldn't tell. All I know is that this moment in time, the plugin isn't available for any user be it open source or premium. When it is available it will be in the store.

I am not sure how you can be confused when a section says Pro ? If it says Pro, it means its only available in the Premium version, not sure how that is confusing. Also, nobody had any idea that the legacy plugin even existed except for the beta testers, so I am confused as to how this is confusing you, you can't be confused by something when you wasn't aware of its existence, until I mentioned it in a comment.

The reason as to why these sections Branding, BrandNav, Banners, Boxes etc... were removed is that they aren't really needed. You can recreate all of them using the Visual editor.

For example, the Banners section can be created using a TextBox and MediaBox sidebar by side.