Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bfrye26

Post/Page Pagination Issues

Rob

Hi,

Could be you're just adding it locally, not globally, and that it's not in the right place.  Please see our Docs at http://docs.pagelines.com

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

bfrye26

I have followed the docs and still no luck. I can not seem to get pagination working as it should. Is there a possible bug

Rob

I tried adding it to the bottom of my blog page without luck.  I'll report it to our developers.

bfrye26

Thanks for the help! hopefully it is an easy fix for everyone!

Rob

Mine did suddenly appear once I refreshed the site in another browser. It works find now.  Considering I have over 1200 pages in my test site, it's working very well indeed.

Erwan

Documentation about the "Post/Page Pagination" nav section (Docs / Tutorials / Using Sections http://docs.pagelines.com/tutorials/using-sections) is succinct ;)

It doesn't mention that DMS provides a full integration of the section with the "WP-PageNavi" Wordpress plugin (as explained on the other hand in the section's description via frontend/ToolBox: http://screencast.com/t/II4UoDyLu1).

Once activated, WP-PageNavi provides a real pagination out of the box, replacing the basic "previous/next entries". And has many useful & easy settings btw.

Works fine for me on a blog page, should work too in categories or archives... despite I did'nt manage yet ;)

bfrye26

Thanks for the help! I got it working with WP-PageNavi. With that plugin it seems to work perfectly now!

Rob

Excellent!

Erwan

@bfrye26 Great ;)

You just have to set your WP-PageNavi options now, such as intervals if you wan't to have one line of pagination instead of two, for instance for your 
"cgnews" category with 113 pages atm.

Danny

Ah sorry, I forgot to add the WP-Navi support to the documentation. I will update it ASAP.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Danny

Also, as far as I know, there is no need to add the Pagination section to your page, all that is required is that you use:

<!--nextpage-->

When editing your page, add the above snippet to where you want your new page to start.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Erwan

Also, as far as I know, there is no need to add the Pagination section to your page, all that is required is that you use:

<!--nextpage-->

When editing your page, add the above snippet to where you want your new page to start.

I strongly disagree ;) !

It's a good thing to remind us of the the Wordpress core <!--nextpage--> tag, especially as it works perfectly in DMS, including WP-PageNavi "out of the box integration". But its purpose is to split a single post or page up into different "pages".

It's quite different for the pagination of the "special" blog/category/archive pages, where this snippet/quicktag of course doesn't work: we definitely need the "Post/Page Pagination" section there ;) ! And it works as intended and mentioned above in this thread.

As for me, unfortunately, there are gliches (I'll post the issue on the GitHub tracker): on some sites, the section purely and simply vanishes (permanently) after being correctly dragged & dropped (whatever the "special" page i.e. blog/category/archive, whathever the area i.e. same column that the post loop or another one, whatever the template, whatever the theme) + published + edited (e.g. styling class), as soon as the site is refreshed :(

Any other testimonials welcomed!

bfrye26

I strongly disagree ;) !

It's a good thing to remind us of the the Wordpress core <!--nextpage--> tag, especially as it works perfectly in DMS, including WP-PageNavi "out of the box integration". But its purpose is to split a single post or page up into different "pages".

It's quite different for the pagination of the "special" blog/category/archive pages, where this snippet/quicktag of course doesn't work: we definitely need the "Post/Page Pagination" section there ;) ! And it works as intended and mentioned above in this thread.

As for me, unfortunately, there are gliches (I'll post the issue on the GitHub tracker): on some sites, the section purely and simply vanishes (permanently) after being correctly dragged & dropped (whatever the "special" page i.e. blog/category/archive, whathever the area i.e. same column that the post loop or another one, whatever the template, whatever the theme) + published + edited (e.g. styling class), as soon as the site is refreshed :(

Any other testimonials welcomed!

I have had the same issue! This is one reason I thought it was broken and started this thread

Rob

It seems this topic has gone off on another negative tangent.   As long as WP Navi makes it work, what's the issue here? Aren't we beating a live, walking horse for a change? Pointlessly, from what I read.

Erwan

It seems this topic has gone off on another negative tangent.   As long as WP Navi makes it work, what's the issue here? Aren't we beating a live, walking horse for a change? Pointlessly, from what I read.

Hi Rob,

Sometimes the horses breaks into an undesirable gallop, or you have to deal with its refusals in the middle of the race whether you like it or not ;)

At Danny's request, I posted the weird issue described above (i.e. everything IS fine and WORKS as intended, provided the "Post/Page Pagination" section does not vanish, period) on the GitHub tracker (https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues/263).

You may find my last post pointless although I really tried to help here (well, that's what I thought :( ... ): unfortunately, I'm not used to sweep problems under the carpet, and my wonderful DMS horse has an unstable behavior on this specific track. And by asking if other people had the same issue, my purpose was to help the community by identifying a possible imaginary desease, not to sneakily invent one!

Best regards.

clodis
I found this problem too, but it is possible that the moderators always respond that everything is fine or read the documents? But what kind of support is that?

Also is it possible that for each function or customization you need to write code or add a plugin? You do not need DMS ,then just from a basic theme...........Sorry for the outburst but I'm getting angry ......

Rob

Clodis, Buongiorno!

We're supposed to tell you to read the docs because 90% of people don't bother and that's where they're going to learn. We're here to moderate, not to just provide every answer.  if we did that you'd be waiting weeks for answers.

Actually, if you design a site, using the available tools with any paid license in DMS, you don't need to write code, or use plugins.  But, if you do customization outside the rather broad scope of DMS, then yes, you need to either write some CSS or use a plugin.

The use of WP-Navi with post-page pagination is nothing new.  It's been that way with PageLines products since PlatformPro, if i recall correctly.

Erwan

I still have the same issue i.e. can drag & drop but not publish the "Post/Page Pagination" navigation section (see on tracker https://github.com/pagelines/DMS/issues/263):

As for me, unfortunately, there are gliches (I'll post the issue on the GitHub tracker): on some sites, the section purely and simply vanishes (permanently) after being correctly dragged & dropped (whatever the "special" page i.e. blog/category/archive, whathever the area i.e. same column that the post loop or another one, whatever the template, whatever the theme) + published + edited (e.g. styling class), as soon as the site is refreshed  :(

Same situation for you bfrye26?

Andrew

Tried this and everything was more or less working as expected. I would need some screenshots to be able to fix this further. 

Preferably the screenshots would be able to demonstrate or point out desired behavior.

rmaxsg

Can some one post the instruction of how to use Wp-Navi with pagelines Post/Page Pagination?  I still don't understand how they related to each other.  Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Erwan

Tried this and everything was more or less working as expected. I would need some screenshots to be able to fix this further. 

Preferably the screenshots would be able to demonstrate or point out desired behavior.

Hi Jedi Master arpowers,

Thanks for getting back to us!

1. "More or less": hum  ;) !?

2. You closed the issue opened by @bfrye26 on GitHub & asked me to open a new one (I understand, possible confusion with WP-PageNavi integration). I'll do it asap, with video captures instead of screenshots if you don't mind, and of course only if can reproduce the issue with the brand new (not documented, sighs) DMS 1.0.1 release.

Erwan

Can some one post the instruction of how to use Wp-Navi with pagelines Post/Page Pagination?  I still don't understand how they related to each other.  Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Hi rmaxsg,

Just install and activate the WP-PageNavi plugin.

DMS integration will replace right away the basic "previous/next entries" in your Post/Page Pagination nav section with "real" pagination. Provided you manage to publish the section, which is another matter dealt in this thread.

There are no specific DMS settings: just check & setup the plugin settings if you need (such as intervals).

Deactivate the plugin and you're back to "previous/next entries", plain and simple.

Hope it's clear for you now.

rmaxsg

Erwan, you are the man. i learned something again.  Haiz Website design is endless study and research.

pureandsimpleblog

www.pureandsimpleblog.com

I have Post/Page pagination in the content area of my blog. I have the WP-Pagenavi plugin installed and activated and the 'Previous'/'Next' links are not changing to the numbered pagination. I have read the documentation and all of this topic and still can not get this to work correctly. What settings do I need to change?

one of the comments above suggests that this needs to be added globally instead of locally - how do I do this? Again, I have read the documentation and can't seem to find help with this one. Where on the page do I add this section to make it appear globally?