Sign in to follow this  
dhrose

DMS basic question...

dhrose

I loaded the DMS basic package on my test WP site, which had the Pagelines V.2.4 loaded. It seems all changes and added sections just spin the "saving" prompt and nothing happens? Do I need to pay to test this, or reload everything (WP etc.)? Or can I use/test this along side my existing PageLines framework... I hate to lose all that content which would obviously help the testing process. Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Rob

Hi,

DMS writes a different set of code to your database and doesn't affect existing WordPress content (posts, pages, etc.).

It sounds as if your DMS installation may be in the wrong location.  if you downloaded DMS from our Docs, it probably is (we have an incorrectly named version there, presently).  Check via FTP.  DMS should be located in wp-content/themes/dms. If it's something else with DMS in it, please let us know and we'll guide you to update it correctly.

You do not need to pay to test DMS. The free version should work just fine.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

dhrose

I'm having no luck today... Ha! I checked the install in File manager and it's in wp-content/themes/dms  ...When I downloaded it initially, it put it in DMS-dev  but I renamed it (file manager) as it gave me an error in the interface.

Also, the first DMS basic download I got from the guide was called dms.zip the new one says DMS-dev.zip? Not sure what's up with that? But neither have let me add photos, although I could change the main menu bar for instance? 

Rob

Renaming the folder is not the solution.

You should delete the current installation in wp-content/themes/dms, and go to http://www.pagelines.com to download the proper, current, updated version with all the correct links. Then, via Dashboard > Appearance > Themes > Install Themes > Upload, select the zip file downloaded from our front page and activate. Your settings will not be lost doing this.

dhrose

O.K. I deleted the dms directory in themes, and I'll try and load again... which version should I load? I have DMS-dev.zip and dms.zip ???

dhrose

The current compiled version on Pagelines docs is DMS-dev.zip That loads to a directory called DMS-dev which gives me an error in the interface?

dhrose

Geez... I downloaded dms.zip from the main site and reloaded the zip. Saving...saving...saving... I had a open (for a change) weekend to work with DMS and hash out the interface, but alas. Bummer! This shouldn't be this difficult... Sigh

Rob

The DMS-Dev is not correct, and the dms.zip is, and it should be loaded to wp-content/themes/dms.  if you also have wp-content/themes/DMS-Dev, please delete that as it will cause conflicts.

dhrose

Arghh! I loaded the correct one, it's in the right place, but no love. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I can't log in to my account either in PageLines 2.4. Won't take my password?

I'm loading DMS in my "test" directory which I have as a sub domain... test.dhrcreative.com. Hmmm... I do not want to load another install of WP. The interface shows, and I can see the sections, but when I drag stuff into pages, it just says "saving" and never does?  

Wish this would work... DOH!

Rob

Please consider that our site was completely destroyed only a couple of days ago.  We're working to fix all the login issues, which affected any of our products that connect to things like our Store or our validation systems.  Please be patient as we work to fix this.  Thanks.

dhrose

So, would the log in affect the DMS functionality? I've sent a number of emails to hello@pagelines.com about my account. No word yet? Hope it's fixed soon but I may not have the time to work on it for awhile after this weekend unfortunately...

Thanks for your help!

Rob

Okay, sorry to sound tough here but please send ONE EMAIL ONLY to hello@pagelines.  You're just flooding their queue, which only serves to slow down your response and everyone else's.  They're currently getting nearly 2000 emails daily, so please help the situation, and let them answer all in order, rather than trying to stack the deck. It will only hurt everyone. Try some patience and I assure you, you'll get things resolved.  This product is as new to you as it is to most of us and we're trying very hard.  Thanks.

dhrose

I understand this is a nightmare for PageLines and myself, I only have 1 site, so I "can" just come back later... but still, no one has stated that if you can't log in to your account – 2.4 or otherwise – you're not going to be able to do anything with dms.

Rob

Actually, with or without login credentials added, both Framework and DMS will work.  Some functionality will not be possible, but it should be limited.  I'd just carry on trying to go as much as you can, and let our billing office and developers sort out the licensing issues this week.

dhrose

As a footnote: I signed up for a basic license ($10.) just to see if I could get DMS working. ...put in my email and code I received... still nothing working from the interface when I save? So I guess I'll be waiting...

Rob

Honestly, that's a billing department issue. And I'm sure they'll help if you'd be so kind as to write them at hello@pagelines.com.

dhrose

Haven't heard back yet from them so I'm not going to send anymore emails... at this point I'm going to let the dust settle and try again.

Rob

Thanks!

dhrose

Nope... At this point I still can't log in to my 2.4 site... although I can edit stuff from the PageLines interface... I can't do anything with my dms install other than look at the text on the pages. I can't drag anything to the pages and save, at all. Still no word from hello@pagelines.com either although I've sent 2 emails to them. Not sure where to go next really... I'm waiting for a sign. 

Rob

dhrose

I have DMS in a test install, and Framework in multiple other installs with the same credentials. No issues on my Framework installations, or with DMS.

Are you using Chrome to login, then viewing the site from the front end?   The visual editor works when viewing the site once you've logged in, then view the site as any visitor would.

Please read the docs. http://docs.pagelines.com

dhrose

I got it to work... I had to turn off some plugins, so I'm not sure which one was the culprit. I think it was next-gen scroll gallery? Login with PageLines 2.4 still doesn't work but I got an email from hellosupport and they said they were working on that...

I have loaded:

PageLines Customize

PageLines Sections

WPPage Navi

NextGen Gallery

Easy Contact Forms

Online Backup 

And Yes using Chrome... my main browser at this point.

pasquale

Anyone getting any solutions here?

After hashing out the confuzzles in the documentation regarding dms.zip and dms-dev.zip (now settled on dms.zip), I had the dms load as a theme without error. But after activating dms, all I can see is the standard WordPress customization menus on the left, but no way to get to the tool bar of dms. Wonder why that is? Plus,now I am getting every 15 seconds a warning that my session (as admin) has expired and offers me the login screen. Except the warning is bogus. I click close and am returned to the WP admin screens.

From http://docs.pagelines.com/getting-started/installation I read the 'happy' thought: "After uploading PageLines DMS, head back to Themes and click Activate. You should be all set up and ready to go!", but reality is not complying with their well-wishes. And I suppose that further on, the text regarding "Adding license key", is for the pro versions, and doesn't apply to dms.zip, right??

After reading other posts here, I first deactivated all my plugins, with no result, and then renamed my plugins folder to xxplugins, created a new empty plugins folder and restarted Wordpress. That doesn't help either.

Ok, that's 3 strikes and I am out of here.

As far as I'm concerned, Pagelines has enough egg on their face to open their own Waffle House. I'll check back in a day or so for any replies. And then I might as well wait a month or more to see if their eggs are done yet. Very disappointing. Especially as DMS was supposed to change the world.......

BTW, I just downloaded chromium, but that did not change the dms behavior.

Edited by pasquale (see edit history)

dhrose

I signed up for a basic subscription for $10. So I could get a code and test it. You should be able to test basic for free without a code. My issues (no saving changes) were related to plugins, as disabling all but three got DMS working. Also... logging in does show the standard WP dashboard... you have to go to pages, edit page and preview... and the dms interface appears. from there you will be able to add sections etc. Of course that is my experience so far... ymmv.

pasquale

dhrose

Thanks for the note.

Now I am confused. I thought this was open source, and inferred from that that it would work on any WordPress installation. Are you saying that one must use Pagelines servers?

And when you say: "logging in does show....", I am not seeing any login screen except for the one for logging into WP as an admin.  I guess I need to wait for an update to come out, and maybe some better documentation. So I'll give it a couple of weeks to see what Pagelines can come up with.

All the best,.... and now back to work!

psq