Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Menu smaller in IE than in Chrome and FF

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Hi,

My topmenu on: 

caesarsbeauty.nl

is smaller in IE then in FireFox and Chrome (you can see it exactly because of the arrow).

I tried to find the problem, but the only thing I can see is that it's 'smaller'.

Hope somebody can point me in the right directoin.

Kind regards,

Willem

I write about internet marketing, WordPress and Pagelines on my Dutch blog spoelstra.ws

Rob

Hello Willem,

IE renders some fonts smaller than in Firefox or Chrome.  So, a 12pt font may appear like 11pt in IE, and 12pt in FF.

There's really little we can do to fix the way IE renders fonts, even with the compatibility option enabled.

However, using the Browser Specific CSS plugin, you can identify the container for the text, where its size is set in CSS, and create browser-specific code to increase its size.  I recommend doing that with em, instead of px or pt.  That allows you much finer control and full responsiveness. Em will let you specify sizes up to four decimal places from 0., such as 1.2345 em.

By doing that, you'll be able to make the IE version comparable to the FF or Chrome versions.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the explenation, that's explains the difference. 

But it is something I can accept, it's an illusion to get the website the same for all browser, in my case I tested it with IE, FF and Chrome on PC.

However, I do encounter some thing when watching the website on my Samsung Galaxy Note II in mobile browsers: the standard browser from the phone, Google Chrome and Firefox.

Plus watching the website on the iPhone 4 from my wife: Safari and Google Chrome.

For the first three question please see this image of the problems (questions are listed there):

http://caesarsbeauty.nl/problemen.png

4) I noticed that different Google fonts I had selected were very hazy in the browsers from the iPhone 4 in portrait mode, do you heard any problems with this before?

5) When viewing the homepage:

http://caesarsbeauty.nl 

I used a 'font-style: italic' voor the h2's on this page (Keratine behandeling and IPL behandeling). However, this is being ignored by Google Chrome on my Samsung Note II... 

Kind regards,

Willem

I write about internet marketing, WordPress and Pagelines on my Dutch blog spoelstra.ws

James B

Hi Willem

I've seen something similar in safari before. I've looked for the post as there was a css3 line which seemed to sort out the fonts.

Try the following -

-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased !important;

In regard to the issue on chrome, have you used any other css with the font, like font-weight: lighter; for example. Another user had put in a font-weight and as that browser didn't handle it, it ignored the entire thing.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Willem-Siebe Spoelstra

Hi James,

Thanks for you advice, I'm going to work on it.

I'm going to expand this test with a clean install to make it easier to see if things went wrong in my custom CSS or that it is already wrong on a clean install.

For now, what simular case you have seen in Safari before? (which question are you referring to?).

Thanks, Willem 

Rob

Willem, I don't believe the issue James is speaking about was in the Forum, but in Live chat support. There isn't a link he can provide you to, unfortunately.  I recall working on this issue with James.   As I mentioned, depending on the browser, some font handling can vary significantly.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur