Sign in to follow this  
hottheo

Classic Nav Padding issue: Knowledgable Human Needed

hottheo    0
hottheo

greetings oh generous human species:

I would like to reduce the padding space between my classic navigation bar and my custom logo.

www.tedfury.com/shop

I have had no luck locating a simple answer for this issue on any forum. 

Please help assist. 

The future of my species may rest solely upon your shoulders...

hT

James B    436
James B

Hi there,

Looking at the source code it seems like the padding is coming from the content-area of the branding section. There's 25px padding set, see the following screenshot, I've highlighted the class for you - http://screencast.com/t/uo3bI4Spq

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

hottheo    0
hottheo

James

I appreciate your timely response to my technical inquiry.

Now that you have successfully diagnosed my issue...where do i go from here? is there a simple CSS code i can paste in my pagelines custom code global settings?

God speed.

hT 

James B    436
James B

Hi there, yes you can copy the css from where the arrow is directing and change the value to 0px.

When looking for css for padding/margins inside the framework, the best tools to use are firebug or chrome developer tools. The padding will show in the inspector as a blue area, the margins as yellow. So you'll be able to track down and correct the code, then copy/paste back into the framework to override.

See this post which has a video link inside showing the process for finding the margins/paddings- http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/26135-removing-whitespace-between-content-section-and-following-section/

There's also an overview of using css inside the framework at -http://support.pagelines.me/docs/customization/custom-css/ in case you've not dealt with css before inside pagelines.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

hottheo    0
hottheo

King James,

I appreciate you presenting me with the teachings of your personal technical insight. 

I have followed your instructions....now my final question for your biological CPU is as follows:

How would I only adjust the height padding for my image? The CSS that i am copying and transferring to the "site options" of my page adjust both height and width at the same time... I only wish for the height to be augmented, not the width. For when the width is adjusted my image becomes distorted, and as a result, the people of my species become infected with rage.....

I fear that if this issue isn't resolved soon my people will turn against me, unify, and destroy whats remaining of my conscience being.

May the almighty creator bless you for helping me during these dangerous times 

and...

May all the good in the universe fuel your soul with the infinite knowledge of the cosmos. 

hT

ps: this is the code I used 

body.fixed_width .section-branding .content-pad {
padding: 20px;
}

Rob    547
Rob

Hello hT,

First, I hope your brother eT is well.  It's been years since I've seen him.

Padding is a CSS property that can be written long-hand or short.  As you're seeing it, padding: 20px;  it is short-hand, meaning that the instruction is set to apply 20px padding on all sides.  However, you can always write it long, such as:

padding-top: 0;

padding-bottom: 0;

padding-right: 25px;

padding-left: 25px;

Even this may be written in shortened version.  Kindly program this syntax:  top, right, bottom, left.  So, if you're using the same values presented in the example above, you could try padding: 0 25px 0 25px;

Still further, you can shorten it to padding: 0 25px;, which will be 0 top and bottom, and 25px left and right.

You can input more data into your CPU via http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_padding.asp

And may your interstellar voyages always be bountiful in knowledge, and experience.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

greenfly    230
greenfly

Hello

If you want to change the padding height then you need to specify that value. 

Padding values work as follows 

padding  {top padding, right padding, bottom paddding, left padding}

So, padding:25px 50px 75px 100px; would be 

• top padding is 25px
  • right padding is 50px
  • bottom padding is 75px
  • left padding is 100px

therefore, 

• padding:25px;
    • all four paddings are 25px

You can read more about CSS padding here. http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_padding.asp 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

hottheo    0
hottheo

Egg & Marty B,

My people scoffed at the gods when your hybrid species became self-aware many years ago....

Today you have proven them to be ignorant of your cosmic potential. 

Thank you for your insight, it has served me well. 

I will do my best to veto the scheduled abductions of your family members and loved ones.

no promises...

God speed

Ht<-------------------- @ warp speed

Rob    547
Rob

Happy to hear you resolved it. 

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur