Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bizint

Layout issues in Internet Explorer...not Chrome, Safari or Firefox...

bizint    0
bizint

Hi,

I'm having strange layout issues in different browsers for this page:

http://www.businessinteriors.co.uk/the-top-ten-best-office-chairs-in-the-world/

Sometimes the images are full size (of the chairs) - sometimes they overlap. Internet Explorer seems to be the problem, but not other browsers....any ideas please?! Is this a wordpress thing or a framework thing? It's very strange.

Thanks,

bizint

greenfly    230
greenfly

Hello bizint 

Different browsers handle CSS differently so it is a matter of testing and then rectifying the problem browsers with some Custom CSS. 

I recommend using Firebug or your browsers built-in web dev tools and inspect the problematic sections to find the correct code.

For assistance visit our custom CSS documentation - http://support.pagelines.me/docs/customization/custom-css/

To make life a little easier there is a plugin to help with this http://www.pagelines.com/store/plugins/browser-css/

• Like 1

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

fpcas9431    0
fpcas9431

Hmmm having a similar problem...IE doesn't recognize sizing of images from Pagelines?

Rob    547
Rob

Actually,  IE doesn't recognize image scaling from WordPress.  Nothing to do with PageLines.

If you have added, for example, a 500px wide image as the post's feature image (tor the thumbnail), IE probably won't recognize that WordPress has cropped or scaled the image to 150px by 150px.  It may decide to display the full-sized image.  Similarly, if you're using a very large image in the post's content, and scaling it down (which WordPress does pretty well), IE won't recognize the set size, only the original size, causing the image (in either case) to bleed past any container it sits in, making it (usually) sit behind or under other content.

It's one of the most annoying things I've found about IE.  The only cure for it, unfortunately, is to resize images to the specific sizes you want them to be using a graphics editor like Adobe Photoshop, and replacing them.  This is tedious, troublesome, time-consuming and to say the least, laborious.  But, it is the only sure-fire way of making it work.

• Like 1

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

airmike    0
airmike

Admittedly, I'm close to a novice at this but I can understand when I'm being given an "incorrect" message. My PageLines back office in WP is not displaying correctly since I started getting this erroneous message:

You are using Internet Explorer version: 7
Advanced options don't support Internet Explorer version 7 or lower. Please switch to a standards based browser that will allow you to easily configure your site (e.g. Firefox, Chrome, Safari, even IE8 or better would work).

I actually have a brand new desktop with IE 10, the latest version, so I guess, somehow the PageLines program, which was working fine (until this message popped up) as I am building a new website, thinks I have an outdated version of IE. How do I fix this problem?

Rob    547
Rob

Hi Airmike,

This is not a related topic. Kindly open a new one, providing a link to your site.

Thanks.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

NearlyJen    2
NearlyJen

Rob, 

Could you possibly add a class to certain images and then resize in css? Could that get you around it if you had a LOT of pictures not being scaled?

Jennifer

Lapsed vagabond and reformed ne'er-do-well.

Nice to meet you. 

Danny    1,327
Danny

@Biznit

Your issue is most likely related to your HTML code, you have a number of h3 tags and <a> tags that appear to be doing nothing and as far as I can tell, can be removed. Removing them may address your issue.

http://d.pr/i/Qvx5

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• dougalperman
      By dougalperman+
      Hi there,
      I'm a big fan of Pagelines, and have been for years.
      I'm trying to control the size of video embeds and having some difficulty. I see that I can just paste the Vimeo video URL into the post and an embed widget will automatically appear, which is great. But the embed box created is much taller that the video (689 x 1000 pixels) so the content sits in the middle of a tall black box, which looks awkward.
      I tried using the full iFrame embed code from Vimeo, which solved the disproportionate embed frame size (or aspect ratio) issue, but despite specifying the dimensions I want (690 x 388), the videos displayed on the post are sized at 300 x 150 pixels.
      I can't work out how to change either.
      I'm using the latest version of Pagelines Framework (Pro) with the Agency them.
      Any help or advice very much appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Dougal
    • ketri
      By ketri
      Hi,

I noticed that PL5 uses flexbox for it's responsive grid. I think this is awesome. 
      But now there's a project coming in where I know I'll have to support older crappier browsers as well. Any thoughts on this? Should I only use PL5 for project where we're focused on modern browsers? Or should I use custom CSS to insert a float-based fallback grid..? 

Thanks!
    • micstepl
      By micstepl+
      What is actually framework?
      - is ist that, what we used some years ago?
      - dös it replace DMS2?
      Usage
      - can I use framework beside of DMS2?
      - how do they relate?
    • almanada
      By almanada+
      2 year DMS Framework Dev Member here:
      Nothing is saving on our websites, our Key is no longer registering, emails have gone unanswered.  The DMS theme seems to be overall malfunctioning.   I just want it to work like it worked last week again please. Also, based on our your website is looking, it's also falling apart. Please Advise ASAP!  Our clients have a much shorter temper with us, because we actually offer a way to contact us.  We have reinstalled the latest theme over and over. 
    • oksodavid
      By oksodavid
      I can activate Framework 5.0.2 as stand alone theme ok. I get dashboard notice 'You need PageLines Connect' which is superseded by pl-platform - connect plugin.
      If I activate pl-platform 5.0.3, I get the 'total_pages' js error mentioned in pl-platform 5.0.2 plug and can't load Extend.
      I loaded PageLines Platform Developer 0.5.1, and dev loads ok.