Hero Nav Why Do Hero Nav Menu Items Duplicate in Dropdown

3 posts in this topic

Here's a link to my site:

See SEO, Inbound Marketing, and SEM for examples.

The channel names appear twice. At first, I thought this was because some were saved as custom menu items, but re-saved SEM a different way to experiment, but still get the same result.

What am I missing?

Any help appreciated.

(Also, is there any documentation?)

Greetings carlton,

This is a cool thing that Hero Nav does, but I can understand your confusion.  

What's happening is that you have your dropdown menus are set to dropdown on CLICK, so in that case, top level pages/menu items with dropdowns are not available as working links because they trigger their dropdown menu.  Hero Nav detects this, and automatically adds that page as the first item in the dropdown so that you can still access that page.  This only happens if the top level menu item has a link.  This also only happens when the dropdown trigger is set to click.

If you want to create top level menu items that don't do this, simply create a custom menu item for it and give it a url of "#" (without quotes).

Hope this helps.

There is documentation on the demo site: http://hero-nav.evanmattson.com.  I can't recall if this specific feature is mentioned there but you're the first to mention it!

I'll double check and add information about it there if it is missing.

1 person likes this

Thanks so much!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Hero Nav 1.3 Download Missing Contents
      By vikzee
      Hero Nav 1.3
      Wordpress 4.2.2
      I just downloaded the latest version of Hero Nav from my Pagelines account but when I try to upload it to the plugins page it gives me this error:
      The package could not be installed. No valid plugins were found.
      Plugin install failed.
      So I unzipped the package and find that all it contains is a README file.
      Can you send me the latest version (vikzee (@AT@) yahoo.co.uk) in it's entirety or re-load it to the Pagelines site so people who've paid for it can get the latest version?
    • href missing in hero nav
      By AppLEaDaY
      I did not personally install what I'm trying to fix. I'm working on a preexisting installation of WordPress and Pagelines.
      But when I arrived the problem was already there: just upon posts displaying in the hero nav main menu I get a "Home" link not working,
      due to a anchor completely missing the href attribute.
      I made some tests and I noticed what follows.
      The same problem occurs with every plain link I add that hero menu (not with pages), I mean with links showed as CUSTOM Curiously enough I found in a sublevel a link of that kind, it has somehow back in the past inserted by someone else, no me: it works just like it is supposed to do No problem of that kind in a fixed navigation bar (I tried to enable it) I underscore the mentioned problem occurs only when displaying posts, not with pages.
      Any clues? Since I'm afraid it may take a too long time to fix this specific problem, I also ask: could you possibly point to what I am supposed to read in order to do without the hero nav bar and use some other navigation bar in the same place of the template?
      Thanks in advance
    • Hero Nav Drop-Down Menu
      By limelight
      Hello, I'm having a strange issue with the background of my Hero Nav drop-down being "see through". Can anyone direct me on how to make this solid black instead??  Thank you! 
      Site URL: http://multicolores.org/ And there is a drop-down menu when you hover over 'About'.
    • Formatting not displaying
      By ScribbleGD
      Hi there,
      Whenever I make changes to the formatting options in the Hero Nav section of Site Settings such as font base colour it doesn't appear to change the look of my nav bar,
      Any reason as to why this is happening? Screenshot attached.
      URL - staging.scribblegraphicdesign.com.au
    • Hero Nav issues in DMS dashboard
      By webmktco+
      I've had issues with making edits to the Hero Nav settings for a while now.  I've been able to work around the issue, but I thought I'd bring this to your attention.
      Do you know why this is happening and how to fix it?
      Here's the debug info: http://josephfoxdds.myddsdev.com/?pldebug=1

WP: 4.0
      DMS: 2.1.1