robinonholiday

Setting up Facebook All in one on temporary site address

robinonholiday    1
robinonholiday
Hello Chris

(This is my first go at posting a question on a forum :-D)
I have uploaded your 'Facebook All in One'.

My site has a temporary address on my host's server until we are ready to replace the existing site, here's the address:

http://176.32.230.24/dancebiodanza.co.uk/ 

I registered with FB and got the 'API ID' and 'API Secret Key' from https://developers.facebook.com/. - (phew!).

HOWEVER...

When I type in my current site address into:

Website with Facebook Login
Site URL:

I get this error message from FB (see below - also attached) :

>>
Error
dancebiodanza.co.uk must be derived from one of: Site URL, Mobile Site URL, Canvas URL, Secure Canvas URL, Page Tab URL or Secure Page Tab URL.
>>

I'm assuming this is because 'dancebiodanza.co.uk' is  a subdomain - not a domain?

If this is the reason, anyway around it? Or do we just have to wait til site is live? Or am I barking up the wrong tree totally!?

Have you come across this before?

Thank you!

Robin

MrFent+    28
MrFent
Hi Robin,

Facebook says that for security reasons, you can't use an IP address, you have to use a URL. I'd go ahead and create the app using the actual address. I believe the section will still work, but not 100% sure. Let me know how far you get.

robinonholiday    1
robinonholiday

Thanks Chris. Will explore and let you know :-)

Jenny    33
Jenny

Please let us know if you still need assistance with this topic, otherwise I will close it in 7 days. Thanks!

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

robinonholiday    1
robinonholiday

Thank you Jenny. I've been taking a break but will follow up Chris's suggestion and let you know results. Cheers, Robin

robinonholiday    1
robinonholiday

Hi Jenny and Chris

I've realised I can't use a URL rather than an IP address because my hosting service's address IS just an IP address - and that is where my site IS - until we are ready for it to 'go live'. When I type in the actual current address, I get an error message. (see attached)

I tried typing in the address it WILL be when it's live - and FB accepts it, no problem. (see attached)

BTW when I was googling around for a solution, I came across the related problem of using a local host with FAO. There were work arounds suggested, but I don't think they apply to my situ.

I am just going to wait til we go live.

Thank you so much for being available to help. I really appreciate and respect how you all at Pagelines approach the challenge of supporting the people using the programme.

I am sure I will be asking more questions soon! :-P

Robin

Jenny    33
Jenny

Thanks for letting us know Robin! :) And we're happy to help.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.