Sign in to follow this  
sschur

PageLines Network Features

sschur

Hi! We are a small college that's trying to implement PageLines, which we just purchased, as a responsive alternative to our current website. We have a WordPress network with a couple of hundred sites. What we would really like to do, if at all possible, is setup some "defaults" for the PageLines framework for the entire network. Any site we apply the theme to should inherit those "defaults". Also, any new site we create should enable PageLines automatically and apply the "defaults". We were going over the idea of setting up an empty "defaults" site and using Blog Copier to replicate it but there are two issues with that: First, that doesn't work for sites that are currently in the database. Second, there is a reason I put quotes around the word "defaults". What would be a better description is probably fall-back options. The optimal way this would work is that templates/layout/plugins/child themes/etc. is the same for the entire network and any change on any of the site is reflected for all others. Then, each site could implement its own templates/layout/etc. if needed. If no such site-specific ones exist, the fallback ones are used. Is there any elegant approach to doing something like this? Thanks!

Rob

Hi,

First, I too am in Joisey!

Next, as long as you have a Developer license, you can use PageLines in Multisite.  Your basic configuration in the Framework becomes the "default" or fall-back, unless the individual site holder implements a different child theme. Even so, some settings in the Framework remain constant, if placed in the centralized settings and are not overwritten in the child theme.

If any of that makes sense, please let me know.

• Like 1

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sschur

Hm... I think I might be missing something. I applied the PageLines theme to two sites and the drag & drop modifications I do are individual for each site, i.e. when I change something on one, it doesn't change on the other. Is there something extra I have to do to enable the multisite functionality?

James B

Hi there,

If the sites are installed on multisite each won't change when one inside the network is edited. Multisite will allow you to set up mutliple sites inside one installation of wordpress, each of those sites will be able to be controlled independently.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

sschur

Yes, I'm aware of the Multisite functionality in WordPress. I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply I want the sites to be completely dependent on each other. I was just asking if I can get some functionality where the PageLines configuration (such as the Drag&Drop template and plugins/child theme applied) is network-wide unless I want to modify it on a specific site. Is that at all possible?

James B

Hi there,

Plugins you'll be able to set network wide, not the drag and drop features though unfortunately.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

sschur

Ah, I see. Thank you! I guess I was unclear on the whole Multisite feature. Sorry for that.

Rob

No apologies needed.  I'll let James know.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

sschur

Appologies for reviving this but is there any chance functionality like this (network-wide templates and settings) will be implemented in a future version?

James B

Not as far as I'm aware no, this is due to wordpress limitations. It could change though as the structure of wordpress changes in the future.

James B