Sign in to follow this  
Keith Vaugh

Smooth gallery alternative

Keith Vaugh

Hi folks

I have nextgen gallery and smooth gallery installed on a site here: http://www.belmonthousestud.com/stallions/

I think with a recent update of WP, Smooth gallery has been rendered redundant. As a consequence I need an alternative solution (assuming what i have cant be sorted). Ideally I'd like to access galleries hosted on Flickr or Picassa and have them appearing in a nice slideshow with captions.

Does anyone have an alternative solution, or maybe a fix for what I have.

Viewer looks like an option, but not sure if it handles captions,

Thanks in advance

James B

Hi Keith

I'm not aware if the viewer section does include captions. @beardedavenger will be able to advise though, I've copied him into this thread in case he can help further.

We'll leave this thread open in case any other users can advise on a suitable alternative for you as well as the other moderators.

• Like 1

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Keith Vaugh

Thanks James

Would appreciate it if anyone has some suggestions. 

Rob

Keith, do you want a slider or a gallery? Two different animals.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Keith Vaugh

Really it's a slider I need.

Rob

Okay, there are many sliders out there, including a few in our Store.

The issue with sliders is not only their appearance, but how they're sourced.  Our Feature Slider (which I'm fond of, admittedly) lets you use categories to create posts from Feature Images (the thumbnails you set in posts) and the excerpt field for the description, and finally, the post title as the slide title. You can also set slides manually.

We also have a manual only slider available in our Demo (demo.pagelines.me/tools) which is pretty cool, and the Quick Slider, also pretty good.

It really depends on what you need to do with it, how it's to be used, and other criteria you have to select in planning your choice of sliders.  WordPress has a pretty wide range of them that are up to date.

Keith Vaugh

I agree about the feature slider, however for the case of this application it's not appropriate. 

The gallery slideshow contains a large number of images with titles and captions. From a management perspective nextgen was ideal and smooth gallery was perfect for creating the slideshow. Nextgen allowed for the image gallery to be managed with ease.

I have come across two options in my search - Global Gallery by LCWeb or tn3gallery Both options allow for the images to be served from Flickr or Picassa thereby allowing for the galleries to be managed outside of WP. 

Rob

Keith,

Just make sure your plugins are compatible with WP 3.5.1 and you should be okay.