basmati

Sidekick Sidebar Menu Usability

basmati    4
basmati

Hi Evan, thanks for the usefull sidekick menu. a question: is sidekick a solution to display childpages only? Or is it possible to use it as a standalone navigation menu (with parent and childpages together)? i'm looking for a vertical responsive sidebar menu - without the usual wordpress horizontal main nav. and what about IE behaviour - does it work in Explorer Version 7 (IE 6 support would be great as well). thanks for an answer! peter

evan    0
evan

Hi basmati,

Sidekick is not just for child pages.  There are 2 modes of display that determine how the menu is populated: Page Hierarchy (child pages - but more than that), and WP Menu.

So, using WP Menu mode, you can display any menu you have created in Appearance > Menus.  The mode, as well as the menu you want to display can be changed on a per page basis using the PageLines Meta Settings.

If you haven't seen the demo, check it out here:  http://sidekick.evanmattson.com

basmati    4
basmati

ok thanks - i think the demo page shows childpage mode only - so i thought i ask for the parent page mode (wp nav menu). that sounds great!  right now i'll test it in my stone age IE browsers :fpc:

evan    0
evan

Hey basmati - I just took a look on the demo site and it seems indeed that the demo for that mode wasn't finished!  I'll finish that up in the next day or so - thanks for bringing that to my attention.

There really isn't a difference in the appearance of the menu though.  It does the exact same thing as with page hierarchy, it's just sourcing the menu items from a menu!  Cool stuff.

Thanks,

E

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Anthony CALCI
      By Anthony CALCI+
      Hello,
      I have switched from the Framwork theme to DMS theme on http://calcipatrimoine.theproofingcompany.fr (miror site of http://calci-patrimoine.com).
      But I have now only the Primary sidebar in the Widget section ! Secondary sidear, Footer sidebar have all disapear...
      Can I have help to have them back ?
      Regards,
      Anthony
    • colleenc
      By colleenc+
      I am having an issue with the size of the font in a text box widget on my sidebar. It has me completely baffled because I have two text widgets on my sidebar and the other one is displaying perfectly. 
      The sole difference between the two is the amount of text in the widget, but that can't be the problem.
      My site is: loveandnudes.com and the text widgets are on the right side at the top. 
      I have duplicated the one with the issue and I am fiddling with it right now to see if I can find a solution. But I would love any suggestions. I though CSS would do the trick, but either I tried the wrong thing - or I put it into the wrong place.
      Thanks for your help!
    • nickdxin
      By nickdxin+
      I'm using the latest versions of DMS2 and Wordpress and the Sidekick menu version 1.2.7 which I think is still the latest version, and I now need to update the menu. But making any change and trying to save the menu results in a "403 Forbidden Access to this resource on the server is denied!" message. I've checked the permissions and can't see anything wrong and I can make other changes including updating the Hero Nav menu on the same site… sandgateprimaryschool.co.uk. Does anyone know what's going on?
    • Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      Is it possible to add a sidebar only for one post category? Without adding extra plugins or editing the theme code? 
      I have 4 categories of posts (blog post, news, job listing, case studies) but I want to have a sidebar only for the blog posts to appear. 
      How can I do that? 
      Thanks!
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio
      I am working  on a PL5 site that uses a IDX feed plugin that includes templates for that individual plugin (ex - a property listings template, a single property template, etc.) However, when I edit the Pagelines Content area to also feature a sidebar it will not actually save or apply to any of the other property pages. Are there any know issues with the templates and hierarchy? It appears to be defaulting to read-width and I can't find any way to override this setting.
      Here is a link in case that is helpful to see: http://getreadyforwow.com/ihf/idx/mls-20649468-99_sunny_st_newport_beach_ca_92663
      Is there anything I can provide to you that may be helpful in solving this issue?