Sign in to follow this  
lang

Several parent pages into one Dropdown Navbar Menu?

lang

Hello altogether,

I got several parent pages (not marked as a child) and would like to get them into one dropdown menu of the Navbar.

The thing is that I don't want to have the URLs like this:

domain.com/parent_slug/child1

domain.com/parent_slug/child2

domain.com/parent_slug/child3

I want them like that:

domain.com/child1

domain.com/child2

domain.com/child3

Is there a possibility to get them into one dropdown menu?

Thank you a lot for your response!

Kind regards!

greenfly

hello Lang 

Have you tried creating a custom menu using Wordpress > Settings > Menu. You can drag the pages around and set the menu exactly how you like it. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

lang

Hello Martin 

thank you a lot for your reply.

Yes I have tried but than I don't get these pages as parent pages into on dropdown menu. They just get listet in one line of the Navbar without hovering-dropdown effect although I deposited in the menu settings that they should be subordinated.

Kind regards!

greenfly

Can you take a screenshot of the menu settings page with the menu showing you have created? 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

lang

Hello Martin Davies,

yes of course. Thank you for your feedback.

In the menu_settings.png you can see the desired settings. I got several pages and I would like the last page to be shown under the second last page in a dropdown menu of the navbar. All pages are marked as parent because i want their url like this:

domain.com/page1

domain.com/page2

domain.com/page3

domain.com/page4

and NOT like this:

domain.com/page1

domain.com/page2

domain.com/page3

domain.com/page3/page4

In the navbar_settings.png you can see the settings I deposited in the pagelines settings.

The navbar_current.png shows the navbar with all these settings. There isn't any dropdown menu, all pages are shown side by side.

Thank you a lot for your help and have a nice day!

Kind regards!

post-48448-0-43904800-1370690171_thumb.p

post-48448-0-70947500-1370690178_thumb.p

post-48448-0-92049000-1370690182_thumb.p

Rob

Hello,

Please go to Dashboard > PageLines > Site Options > Header and Footer.  There, please check the box for Enable Drop Down Navigation?  You may also wish to check the box for Enable Arrows on Drop Down Menu?

If these are already checked, then you may have a plugin conflict or some other setting.

Please note, Twitter Bootstrap does not allow Parent level menu items to link to other locations if there are child menu items below.  It will only drop down the menu and cannot be made to take you to another part of your site.  We recommend duplicating the parent destination as the first child item to ensure it remains linked to the desired destination.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

lang

Hello Rob,

thank you for your response!

All the settings you described are activated.

You know, the thing with the dropdown menu works if I define page4 for example as a child of page3.

Then I got a dropdown menu like this: page3 -> page4

The problem is that then I got a URL structure like this:

domain.com/page1

domain.com/page2

domain.com/page3

domain.com/page3/page4

But I want a URL structure like this:

domain.com/page1

domain.com/page2

domain.com/page3

domain.com/page4

Can you help me Rob?

Is there any option?

Thank you for your answer.

I wish you a nice day!

Kind regards!

Rob

Hi,

I'm unsure why this doesn't work for you.  Going to Dashboard > Appearance > Menu and adding child level pages to the parent item from the pages list, works for millions of other people who use WordPress. 

Remember, the issue here is a WordPress topic, not PageLines.  Nonetheless, you should be able to add menu items.  If your desire is to do something automatically that fixes a child-grandchild issue, unfortunately, an automatic solution may simply not work.

To get the structure you want, all you have to do is add menu items as custom links. If you read WordPress' documentation on creating menus, you will have a much greater understanding of creating unique menus, though what you're looking for is hardly unique. It is just not an automatic process.  This is how WordPress set it up and as such, it is out of our control.  Menus can contain links to anything, even external sites or non-linked items.

• Like 1

lang

Hello Rob,

thank you for your response and your help.

The problem I had was very simple. All menu settings etc. have been correct but I hadn't defined any menu for primary web site navigation.

So I got all links in the right order displayed but without any dropdowns.

Thank you for your good help and assistance.

Kind regards!

Rob

Very happy to have helped.