Sign in to follow this  
onlinetracker

Menu NOT Wrapping Two Options (and one more thing...)

onlinetracker

I haven't run into this problem before, mainly because I don't normally use drop down menus, but I have two menu options that are not wrapping. If you go to www.ohmTown.com and click the drop down, you'll see the two options under the show directory.

What can I throw in custom code to make sure it wraps every menu option to a new line?

oh, and one more thing...

If I disable the Excerpt, is there a hook I don't see where I can place loop dependant code? Right now, I have things that relate to each post; example, related posts plugin, currently in the "pagelines_loop_after_excerpt". All of which disappears if I turn off the Excerpt in the Pagelines Admin console for the blog page. For this example, I don't use post pages, just the blog page since this is for a different site.

Rob

Hi,

I'm not sure where you're getting guidance for some of the custom code being entered, but it's not necessarily good guidance. 

I found this:

body .dropdown-menu li > a, body .dropdown-menu li > span {
    clear: both;
    color: #333333;
    display: block;
    font-weight: normal;
    line-height: 21px;
    padding: 3px 20px;
    white-space: nowrap;
}
When I changed white-space to wrap instead of no-wrap, things improved, but your long links indented.  That can be fixed by renaming them to shorter labels.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob

I'm unclear why you need to disable excerpt or do any hooks to add recent posts.  This seems excessively complicated for a simple process.

You can, for example, go to Dashboard > PageLines > Store and get the Content Box (if you don't have it installed already), then in Drag & Drop, just drop that into Content Area > Blog Post below the Comments.

Then, you go to Dashboard > PageLines > Page Options > Site Defaults > Content Box and paste the shortcode for your recent posts plugin. If you're using a plugin for recent posts that requires PHP code, it's outdated. I'll recommend Special Recent Posts, which is the best one I know. It uses a shortcode, rather than PHP code.  Just customize your shortcode to display what you want, paste it to that setting location (Content Box) and save.  At the end of each post, you'll have a list of other recent posts.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

onlinetracker

Hi,

I'm not sure where you're getting guidance for some of the custom code being entered, but it's not necessarily good guidance. 

I found this:

body .dropdown-menu li > a, body .dropdown-menu li > span {
    clear: both;
    color: #333333;
    display: block;
    font-weight: normal;
    line-height: 21px;
    padding: 3px 20px;
    white-space: nowrap;
}
When I changed white-space to wrap instead of no-wrap, things improved, but your long links indented.  That can be fixed by renaming them to shorter labels.

The white-space: line is from noodling around. Not sure why you saw nowrap since I had changed it well before you responded. Eh, the only thing added was the white-space: line. Everything in my custom code section is snippets from an addon in the pagelines store [sexy Snippets or something to that effect].

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about in the "your long links indented" statement. I'm talking about the menu options under Show Directory which has "News" and "Education" next to "Art & Crafting" and "Business" instead of under it as designed in the WordPress menu tool.

Anyway, so the solution is to change my titles for the menu options?

onlinetracker

I'm unclear why you need to disable excerpt or do any hooks to add recent posts.  This seems excessively complicated for a simple process.

You can, for example, go to Dashboard > PageLines > Store and get the Content Box (if you don't have it installed already), then in Drag & Drop, just drop that into Content Area > Blog Post below the Comments.

Then, you go to Dashboard > PageLines > Page Options > Site Defaults > Content Box and paste the shortcode for your recent posts plugin. If you're using a plugin for recent posts that requires PHP code, it's outdated. I'll recommend Special Recent Posts, which is the best one I know. It uses a shortcode, rather than PHP code.  Just customize your shortcode to display what you want, paste it to that setting location (Content Box) and save.  At the end of each post, you'll have a list of other recent posts.

Well, I'm disabling excerpts because I don't need them to be displayed. Simple enough. It is also pretty easy to just inject a couple of adds into the functions file, and then throw that functions file into any site that I'm building with the same basic design. It is a whole lot easier than flipping around in the admin panels. Hook here, add there, and copy.

James B

Hello there,

I've checked your menu but I can't see placing two items in the same row, each one has it's own line - http://screencast.com/t/96yjzH4ZJe

Have you managed to get this resolved?

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

onlinetracker

@James B

I resolved it by extending the menu titles, but I would prefer to not have to do that. I don't dig too much into the code, but I couldn't figure out quickly how to force each line to break. So basically two options would be sitting next to each other instead of underneath.

menu 1     menu 2

menu 3     menu 4

menu 5

menu 6

Each of those should be below each other. I had to leave, so the quickest solution is not the prettiest. Any ideas how to force each menu option to line break at the end instead of filling the div, then breaking? It seems kind of awkward, but since no one else has mentioned it [so it seems], it must be just because one of my menu options is quite long.

Thanks for looking,

James

onlinetracker

I decided to do away with the centering. It really wrecked the option/selection color, etc.. not to mention having to tweak my menu names to get it to work. Blah. Anyway, thanks.