bluesquirrel

Content Text Overlapping / Not wrapping

bluesquirrel

Hi, 

I'm not sure how best to describe the issue so I'll provide a link. I've disabled every single plugin and I don't have any custom code running. All the changes I've made have been through the Pagelines settings within Wordpress so I'm not sure how I've been able to create the conflict which has arisen.

It seems that the text in the content area isn't wrapping and therefore overlaps the sidebar. From what I can tell, the text in the widget area is doing the same thing too, at least in the text widget in the primary sidebar. 

Thank you in advance for your help/guidance, I've been banging my head against the wall for a few hours with this one!

post-26568-0-19741800-1370200657_thumb.j

Rob

Hi,

Without seeing the Layout Editor from the backend, this one's hard to detect.

Can you snapshot the Layout Editor?

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

bluesquirrel

Sure thing - I've had another look whilst taking those screenshots but I still can't see what it might be.

Other than changing the default layout to include a right hand column I don't recall making any changes in here but I hope it's something simple like this! 

Many thanks for taking a look

post-26568-0-63668500-1370201228_thumb.j

post-26568-0-18590900-1370201231_thumb.j

Rob

There's nothing abnormal about your layout. So it has to be something else.

Unfortunately, I'm not in till Tuesday, but would be happy to look on the backend then if you can wait.

• Like 1

bluesquirrel

That's very kind of you Rob thank you - in the meantime I'll keep poking about and see if I can get to the bottom of it. 

Edit: Update: Nope not getting anywhere. If anyone else see this distress signal before Tuesday then feel free to help!

Rob

If you don't get a reply by Monday evening, please set up a new admin level user account and send the credentials to robert@pagelines.com.

Rob

Hi,

I've logged in, looked over everything, and cannot find anything wrong with settings.

As a result, I've asked our best developers to log in and take a look.

• Like 1

bluesquirrel

Thanks Rob, I'm glad I'm not wasting everyone's time with something easy and obvious - I try and keep my forum questions to a minimum. 

bluesquirrel

Hello Rob & Developers, I was wondering if there were any updates? I'm holding back doing anymore work at the moment. 

Thanks guys!

James B

Hi there, I'm not the devleoper but I've tried to take a look at your site to see this happening live on the page, but its not showing anything other than the home page. All other pages go to broken links.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

bluesquirrel

Hi James B, apologies - I should have a maintenance page up at the moment. Rob/the developers do have a login for the dashboard. Shall I email one to you for investigation?

Rob

Okay, brace yourself!

While you didn't add any custom code, I think you may have pasted content from something like Microsoft Word.

Here's what happened:  Content was pasted (somewhere) from some formatted source, probably into Visual mode.  As a result, the hidden formatting of the source was interpreted by WordPress as your intended styling so it wrote the hidden styling into the system.  If a paragraph was formatted for nowrap, then WP is interpreting all paragraphs to be nowrap.  Code like this became auto-entered into WP, not PageLines:

.entry_content, .textwidget {
     word-break: break-all;
}

Now, you're pasting text that WP is deformatting, so you're losing all CSS control of it.  I don't think adding CSS is going to resolve it, since it seems to be in the database. Let's remove all the posts, pages, and text widgets and not replace them right away. We'll see if that sorts the database, then add some text without formatting to a new page to see if it still strips normal formatting or allows PageLines layout to apply.

See how it looks in source: http://content.screencast.com/users/SProsser/folders/Jing/media/477bf016-4acb-4165-992f-f3ea2353e542/00001305.png

If not, we may have to re-write the entire database.

• Like 1

bluesquirrel

Wow Rob, that's certainly exactly what I did and if that's the cause then I guess it's a warning for the future!

Does "Ctrl Shift +V" (paste without formatting) work when pasting into Wordpress or will I have to put things into Notepad first and then paste again into Wordpress?

I'm just rushing out now so I don't have time to make those edits but as soon as I get a chance I'll make the changes and let you know what happens.

Thank you, and the team, very much for looking into this for me,

Rob

Not a good idea to use the standard copy/paste methods from Word into WordPress.  Despite the similarities in names, the two are not related. Not even kissing cousins.   But they can be friends.  In Wordpress' Visual edit mode, you'll see an icon that looks a bit like a keyboard. When you hover over it, a modal pops up saying "Show/Hide Kitchen Sink..."  Click it.  Another line of editing options will appear.

Among the new options you'll see are two clipboards.  One with a small "T" the other with a "W".  The T one is for importing a text file.  But for you, the most important is the "W", which imports from Word.  If you must import from Word, this is "THE" way to do it.

Personally, I use the old fashioned, safest possible method.  It's slower, more cumbersome and time consuming, but it's a guaranteed safe method. 

Copy the Word document by clicking Select All in Word.  Open a Notepad and paste the content there.  Then, in Notepad, highlight the entire thing or Select All from the edit menu.  Copy it again.  Now, all formatting from Word is completely stripped out. You can then paste the code into WordPress without any problems.  Of course, if you've done lots of things like bolding, italicizing, underlining and font changing, then you'll have to use WordPress to manually reproduce that formatting.  Fortunately, by using WordPress formatting, you won't change any of the basic styling for future documents.

Hope this helps your future posts!

• Like 1

bluesquirrel

Thanks for the copy & paste info! It's a lesson I've certainly learnt the hard way so I'll be a religious follower of the "In to Notepad, out of Notepad" method from now on.

After much meddling at my end I went for the nuclear option and reinstalled - it seems to have fixed the problem and I'll certainly be more careful in the future!

Rob

Glad that worked for you!

• Like 1