Olly

Converting a Wordpress Widget into a Pagelines Section

Olly

I am new to Pagelines but am slowly getting to grips with it.

Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to convert a WP Widget into a PL Section so that it can easily be positioned using the drag and drop framework? There are a number of Widgets I have that I want to display on my website but I am currently limited by the fact that widgets can only be displayed in the sidebar. Alternatively is there a section that will let us paste in HTML and Javascript and then display it where we want?

A good example of this would be for displaying the new style twitter badges available here: http://twitter.com/badges

I want a way to be able to display and freely position this widget within my design. Any suggestions?

Rob

Hi,

Actually, you're in luck.

PageLines Framework allows you to add the Universal Sidebar within the Content Area (with sidebars), or that and the Full-Width Sidebar to the Page Templates (without sidebars). Go to Dashboard > PageLines > Drag & Drop, select the place you want to add the sidebar(s) and just drag them over. 

Since those are within the page (below the header, above the footers), and they're not the column sidebars, visually, they appear to be part of the content.  You would add your widgets exactly as you normally do, with no coding at all. Just go to Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets to apply the ones you wish.

I hope this helps!

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Olly

Thanks. Does this give me template by template control of which widgets display, or page by page control, or both? One of the things I have found really confusing about Pagelines is how to display Widgets on specific pages but not on others. I want to be able to independently position and display a widget on each page. Currently I don't seem to be able to show/hide individual widgets, just the whole universal sidebar. 

Rob

To display widgets on specific pages, we recommend a plugin called "Widget Logic" which allows you to use WordPress conditional tags to specify which pages a widget appears on.

I strongly recommend that you read the instructions for Widget Logic thoroughly to understand how to use it and the conditionals.  This will ultimately save you much time and effort and become very easy for you in the long run.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur