njumara

Easy Grid Layout // separate blog categories on homepage // Would love it!

njumara    2
njumara

Hey guys,

I did this hack http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/19444-4-clips-per-row-in-magazine-layout-show-date/?hl=magazine+layout

and it works pretty well (padding seems wonky but that's fixable)

Moreover, just wanted to say for future updates that I would love a way to make the blog layout simply and cleanly in three columns, no sidebar. That would be awesome.

Also, and this is completely separate, but it would be great if we could cut the homepage into separate category blogs that are small sections showing say 4 posts per category. If there was a way to get drag and drop content buttons that call to specific blog categories and just stack them up on top of eachother, that would be well amazing.

Love pagelines, just thought I'd shout out the wishlist.

• Like 1

James B    436
James B

Hi there,

This has been suggest before and was put through to the core team for review. It could be something which will appear in a future addition.

In the meantime to create that type of layout or a layout using the categories setup suggested you could look into something like http://www.pagelines.com/store/sections/anyloop/ which could assist in that layout.

Or for just the short column posts preview you could use a plugin like special recent posts which would pull through the posts depending on the category - http://wordpress.org/plugins/special-recent-posts/

• Like 1

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

njumara    2
njumara

Thanks so much for the reply!

Rob    547
Rob

I hope James' solutions work very well. Please let us know if you need additional help with this topic.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• zabby
      By zabby+
      Hello! 

I was wondering how to create a magazine layout in DMS, like this: http://demo.cactusthemes.com/truemag/

Thanks in advance!

Natalie
    • hansonexperience
      By hansonexperience+
      I saw after upgrading to DMS2 that magazine layout cannot be chosen anymore?
      After checking the Enable Legacy Mode in wp content/loop it is there again. So I could start using this great layout.

But why is it not there in DMS2?

And how can I have the post page also in the "old" DMS1 style (with featured image/thumnail not showing up?)
      This last question is solved with this code:
      #site .single-post .post-thumbnail-link { display: none; }   But why is the feature kicked out to disable the featured image on the post?
    • Ron
      By Ron+
      I did a complete redesign of my site clearwaterbeachcondosforsale.com in DMS with no problems but partway through doing a redesign of another site I started running into a lot of issues with columns and when refreshing.

I am using DMS 1.1.7 with PageLines Academy child theme 1.0 and DMS Pro Tools plugin 1.51 on the current site I'm trying to redesign.  WP version is 3.8.1 and Chrome version 33.0.1750.146 m

During the past week while attempting to make changes to my homepage, I started running into problems anytime I tried to add columns.  Whether I added 2 columns or 3 columns, they would add in as 2 or 3 full width columns stacked above each other rather than next to each other.  There was 1 or 2 times it would go in correctly, then I'd add some content and then I'd save, publish and then when I refreshed to see the changes either they would disappear or they'd show up as full width one above the other again.

I went to my other site which was still version 1.1.6 DMS and I had created that site with columns, pages with sidebars, etc. and had saved several templates with sidebars.  I tried adding a page using the default template which is a content column and then a sidebar column and when I added this page and used the default template it put the sidebar column as a full width column below the content (even though the content column was only 8/12 and the sidebar column is usually 4/12).

I can't resize these full width columns because there is no 12/12 showing and when I click on the arrows nothing changes.  So this is now happening on 2 different sites on 2 different hosts and including one that I had worked on only a few weeks ago without any of this happening.

I did already try deactivating every plugin except the DMS related ones so it isn't that.

I have given up on redesigning the 2nd site using DMS for now as I was spending hours trying to just get columns and can't do anything more until it functions as it should.

I even had my footer content disappear after doing a refresh (was not editing it at all) and when I went into the text box the code was there but it just wasn't showing on the page.  I was able to get this resolved.

There is also a spacing issue in the right textbox on http://housesforsaleinpasadenaca.com/ that keeps coming and going.  I have the spacing correct and then I make a change elsewhere on the page and save and refresh and then I have extra spacing between lines.  I go into the content box for that text box, click in the content box and then click outside the box and suddenly the spacing is correct.  But when I refresh again the spacing is wrong.

I don't know what happened in the last few weeks but there is definitely something going on that wasn't before and is making DMS unusable for me. Is there some way we can get this fixed?

Thanks,
      Ron
    • SaleekR
      By SaleekR
      So maybe i'm just not looking in the right place and the DMS documentation does not seem to cover this (if it is please point out where), but how to i get a 3 column layout with a left and right sidebar? I've tried using the drag and drop interface and setting a page with that layout editor, but it just does not show up. I'm sure a lot of people don't use the 2 sidebar options anymore, so maybe it was overlooked, but i need it. And what's the page template vs DMS template?

• brianrobertchen
      By brianrobertchen
      I am currently using the magazine layout for my content.

Is there a way to customize it so I can show the full post content in the first 2 posts, and then just the thumbnails for the next 4? Right now, it looks like I can only choose between displaying full content OR thumbnails.

Thanks!

My site is http://chennibus.com/