Twitter Bootstrap behaviour on navbar

4 posts in this topic

In another thread when questioning why a click on a top level menu item in the new navbar does not link to the relevant page as it does with the classic navbar the response was "Twitter does it this way for a reason." - I assume this is to follow their interface standards? Both myself and others would prefer the behaviour of the classic navbar applied to the new one. The workaround of adding back the same page as a 'sub link' on the menu is not ideal and can even be confusing. Is there no way of overriding Twitter Bootstrap limitations? An add-on or hack of some kind?

Hi there,

The Navbar isn't unfortunately able to accomodate a link as well as an anchor. The reason for this is due to the rise in mobile/repsonsive sites which use touch screen devices. Somone trying to access the nav using a touch screen device would also activate the link and then lose the drop down when the page redirected.

There's no official way to do this that I'm aware of, as it will probably be a js hack. There are some posts on google relating to fixing this inside bootstrap by changing the class, but they seem to disable the drop down menu and only activate the link.

OK sounds like a very good reason! Thanks for the explanation.

You're welcome :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• navbar in mobile view
      By micstepl+
      make NavBars (each) choose-able, to break in mobile view "above content" OR "below content"
    • Different menu item colors on hover
      By mistrmint+
      Site :
      I need to change the second menu items on hover to different colors.
      i.e factual needs to be blue on hover, fiction red on hover, etc. etc.
      then on the sub menu of factual, all need to hover blue with the main menu factual item staying as blue,
      and the sub menu of fiction needs to hover red with fiction item staying as red.
      etc. etc.
      For the life of me I cannot figure it out.
    • DMS 2 Navbar menu repeats in hamburger mode
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please? 

• Menu won't update
      By dreja+
      I updated my English menu on this site and it worked without issue. However, when I tried to do the same with the French menu, it goes to a 404 page. I'm using an older version of Pagelines on this site as well as WPML for translations. 
      Does anyone have advice on what I can do?
    • More than 2 Mobile Menus
      By mistrmint+
      Is it possible to include more than 2 mobile menu's on the site?
      I am using 4 menu's but in mobile only the first 2 are clickable.
      Menu 4 is on a standalone page. If I click the menu on this page, the primary 2 menu's appear.
      i.e. Menu 4 is not clickable.