Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Magazine Layout on Select Pages Only

6 posts in this topic

Is there are a way within the Framework to limit the types of pages that the Magazine Layout displays? For example, I would like the Magazine Layout to appear on the Blog and Category Pages, but show the Blog Layout Mode (only full-width post excerpts) on Search Results and Archive Pages.

Can this be done using a hook, or at all?

Strange. After looking at the thread and trying this solution, it didn't work. Perhaps there is something specific about this approach that is causing it to fail. Here is some more detail:

• I'm running Pagelines Framework 2.4.2.
  • My current Blog Post Layout Mode is set to Magazine Layout Mode
  • The number of Full Width Posts I've selected is 0 (This is by design. I want my home page to only use Magazine-style clips.)

The ultimate goal is to use only Magazine-style Clips on the home page and Category pages, but for Author, Archive and Search Results pages use Full-Width posts.

Any other ideas?

Hi Evanders,

Check out - this might be an easier option than using code. You can put the section directly into the template and choose the required layout mode. If you're interested you can check any questions you have on the product with the developer on the link above in the comments box.

I tried AnyLoop. It was a good suggestion, but didn't get me very far. It features a handful of very specific styles of posts in a loop. I would have to do more work to reverse engineer a plugin I paid $20.00 for than find a more simple solution to this problem.

There has got to be a way for me to limit Magazine layout mode to certain types of pages. It just doesn't make sense to use magazine style clips in search results, archives and on the author pages.

Any other thoughts?

Hi Evanders,

There is a plugin called Special Recent Posts.  It's free, though there is a premium version. You'll find the free version here:

Special Recent Posts (SRP) uses a shortcode which you can easily customize to place the most recent posts on a page. That said, you can place the shortcode within boxes or the Grid System, allowing you to have two columns (like Magazine Mode) as you wish.  Luckily, the developer smartly placed each element of SRP in its own div/class so that you can size, position, align things just as you desire using CSS. The effect is to give you magazine mode layout where you want it, without having to reengineer anything.

The shortcode's effects - displaying a list of X number of posts, fills whatever container it is set into.  Thus if you use it directly on a page, it will be full width for the content area.  However, if you were to place the code, as I said, within a grid element, and that grid had two columns, you would see the code in one of the two columns.  To see it in the second, just repeat the shortcode, and adjust it in the second column.  The shortcode has an option for offset. 

By that I mean that you can show 5 posts (any number) in the left column, then in the right column, offset that shortcode by 5, so it appears continuous.

Here's an example of the shortcode:

[srp display_thumbnail='yes' post_content_type='excerpt' post_content_length='50' post_content_length_mode='words' category_include='7' category_title='no' string_break_link='yes' thumbnail_width='200' thumbnail_height='200' post_status='publish' post_limit='1' post_title_length_mode='fulltitle' widget_title_hide='yes']

I hope this helps.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Local Page Layout Overrides Other Pages
      By aldisney+
      I'm having some trouble understanding how to use the Page Layouts; I want to create a single landing page which does not include navigation or any content from other pages. However, whenever I use the Landing Page template (which is not attached to any other page in the site), and I set the Page Setup to Local, all of the changes I make to the navigation, header, footer, etc., continue to propagate throughout the entire rest of the site. What am I doing wrong? I've already now wasted hours having to rebuild areas for the rest of the site, so I'm a little hesitant to make any more changes.
      On a side note, this area of PageLines really could use some work, both in terms of documentation and in terms of UI/UX. It's a pretty reasonable assumption for a user to make to create a new template, set it to Local, and expect that those changes would not impact the rest of the site. 
    • Layout lines up on Desktop and Tableet
      By burkeproperties
      I am trying to make our home page line up on a desktop view and tablet view. On the my monitor everything is lined up but as soon as I zoom in or transfer to a tablet everything is not lined up. What is some css or html I can add the site so that everything auto scales to the screen size. The link to the home page .
    • Custom Category Pages
      By canadvo
      Our organization would like a section on just one of our category pages which would filter posts in that category by tag. It seems that everything I've read--on these forums, pagelines documentation and other wordpress forums--has said it is impossible to customize the layout of a specific category page differently from the others, meaning that all category pages will appear the same (apart from using a plugin like widget logic).

So I'm trying to figure out if I did the "impossible" with DMS2, and want an opinion on whether I should assume this change will hold.
      The images I'm linking each show a different category layout from our dev site. The first one is the layout that all of the categories use. This is a snap of the "Blog" category. There is a set DMS template called "Blogtest" assigned to this layout.

The second image is the "News" category page that I seemed to have successfully customized.
      How I did this: I unlinked the "News" category page from the "Blogtest" template and I changed the scope from type to local. Then I added/removed some sections and edited the meta bar on the post loop section to clearly distinguish the layout from the other categories.

Is this something that is known to be possible? Is changing the scope from type to local the magic fix?
      Our dev site is not accessible to the public due to our firewall, but I could whitelist an IP for a mod. If one of you want to take a closer look, PM me.

Website URL: (not publicly accessible)
      Framework Version: DMS
      WordPress Version: 4.0
      Plugins in Use: Don't have a list, don't know if any of them would be at all relevant.
      Server/Host: Litespeed
    • Can't create distinct type of page layout
      By hrachovec
      I'm trying to create a type of page layout and I'm not sure how to go about it. Hopefully you could shed some light on this. 
      I have a website with a Case Studies section. Example of a Case Study page here:
      This is almost exactly what I want but the current problems are:
      At the bottom the Masonic Gallery shows ALL other pages and posts. I just want it to show other Case Study pages only (i.e., no Blog posts). Should I be setting this Case Study content up as WP Posts instead of WP Pages and then use some sort of category filter in the Masonic Gallery? I tried making a Case Study as a WP Post, but that made my Blog entries change their layouts to look like Case Studies, which I didn't want.  If I click on another Case Study page (, the RevSlider at the top is still from the previous Case Study. How do I make a RevSlider unique to a page and not part of an overall template?  Any help would be welcome, I've been prodding this for hours now. 
      Cheers, Russell
    • Magazine style (2-column post) in DMS2?
      By Michael_J
      Hi. Just wondering if it is no longer possible to have magazine-style? I don't see it in "Post Layouts" ?