Sign in to follow this  
bauerhaus

Create CSS for a custom pressed/hover Callout button

bauerhaus    0
bauerhaus

I have created a Callout (see the orange bar on the below website) and uploaded a custom "Start Now" button. Is there anyway I can also add a hover button? I want it so when you mouse over the button, the button looks pressed. I have the .png file, I'm just not sure how to reference it and where.

I worked recently on a website design for a Drupal website and the developer taught me how to save a "Sprite" image for buttons. Would that work in Wordpress and the Pagelines Framework? Can you point me to the CSS that I would create to make the hover button happen?

Website is: http://www.family-classics.com/

Thanks!

greenfly    230
greenfly

Hello bauerhaus 

This topic on W3 Schools should help http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/sel_hover.asp

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

bauerhaus    0
bauerhaus

Hi Martin -

That only have answers half my question.

So W3 Schools says to create this:

<style>
a:link    {color:green;}
a:visited {color:green;}
a:hover   {color:red;}
a:active  {color:yellow;}
</style>

But how do you reference .png file to be the hover and not a color?

greenfly    230
greenfly

In this case using the W3 Schools example something like this 

a:hover   {background-image:url('Your-image.jgg')}

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

bauerhaus    0
bauerhaus

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, that seems easy :) I'll give it a try.

greenfly    230
greenfly

ok - let us know how you get on :) 

bauerhaus    0
bauerhaus

Ok, just had a chance to try this. I'm adding it the Custom Code area, but will eventually be making a Child theme.

This is what I have:

#callout a:hover   {

background-image:url('http://www.family-classics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/StartNowHover.png');
}

But it's not working. I also tried it this way:

#callout a:hover   {

background-image:url('StartNowHover.png');
}

But that doesn't work either. What am I not doing right?

Rob    547
Rob

Hi,

You know, I thought I was one smart egg when it comes to this sort of thing, but this one challenged me beyond all measure.

Here's what I did.

1.  Remove the callout button from the Callout settings, leaving only the link.

2.  Remove any previous callout CSS you've tried (to ensure that it doesn't conflict.

3.  Upload your buttons (there will be two images) to Dashboard > Media > Add New.  Once each is uploaded, click the Edit link that appears, and in the right side, you'll see a full URL for the image. Copy it, and paste it to a notepad file.  Do this for each of the two images.

A note about the images: You will want the second image to be just the exact same as the first, but using a different color scheme.

4. You'll want to modify these code snippets to include the image URLS noted in 3.

.section-callout .img.rtimg a {
  float: right;
  background-image: url('the full URL to the first image');
  width: 261px;
  height: 63px;
  background-color: transparent;
  border: none;
  padding: 0;
  background-repeat:no-repeat;
  background-position:right bottom;
}
.section-callout .img.rtimg a:hover {
  background-image: url('the full URL to the second image');
  background-repeat:no-repeat;
  background-position:right bottom;
}

You can see this live on my test page at the very bottom, just above the Morefoot and Twitter section:

http://www.epicurus.com/members/home

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur