High accessibility theme user option

4 posts in this topic

I have been looking at some front end theme switching plugins in the hope of finding something would enable users to select an alternative theme for their own session on a site, without their being logged in and without changing what other users see. So far I have not found anything that works properly with Pagelines.

Perhaps there is another way of achieving this in Pagelines itself? I guess I could build a load of 'parallel' pages and change lots of template settings on them to make them more 'accessibie', but this would involve maintaining two sets of content.

What I am looking for is a way of swapping from a view of a site with only text and hyperlinks in text  (no fancy page layout) to a 'normal' view (menus / sidebars / graphics etc).

Any pointers?

You can try this following the instructions on this article here - http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/css/quick-wordpress-theme-switcher-plugin/

I haven't had time to test to it myself and see if it works, but its worth a shot.

Another alternative would be to use Wordpress Multisite option, creating multiple sites using different themes.

Thanks Danny

I tried the code you suggested (installed as plugin and with paths / templates suitably modified) but still no joy. 

What is working for me is a plugin at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/junaid-bhura-switch-blog-theme/

This is not totally ideal as it takes a cue from the path to swap themes ( e.g. mysite.com/newtheme/pages - all pages under newtheme will be a different theme) rather than giving users the change to select a simple theme for pages on existing paths anywhere on the site, but as it plays nice I guess it will do!

Thanks so much for letting us know about this interesting and novel option!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Remove "this post was last edited"
      By JudithKlinger+
      I want to remove the 'this post was last edited by xxxxx at xxxxx date/time. 
      In going thru the Codex, this appears to be a theme setting? Is that correct? How do I remove it? 
      Thank you,
    • Viewer_v1.0.1.zip; theme is missing the style.css stylesheet
      By JimP
      For some reason, I can't install this theme, as per below "missing style.css stylesheet" ...any ideas? thank you. Jim Installing Theme from uploaded file: Viewer_v1.0.1.zip Unpacking the package…
      Installing the theme…
      The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.
      Theme install failed.
    • Since latest update all iframes and embedded items are not displaying correctly
      By dgsarnow+
      Since the update to the DMS theme, all my embedded iframes and forms are not displaying properly. They are clipping at a short height regardless of what is indicated for the height in the iframe code. This is affecting Google Maps, Slideshare and Wufoo.
      Below is a slideshare embed being cunched down.

Here is a Wufoo form being clipped

Please let me know what further information I can share to get to the bottom of this.
    • iBox with Skeleton Basic theme
      By lazlo
      I am trying to tweak the ibox section on a site I'm using Skeleton basic as a child theme.
      I am trying to collapse the gap between the title and link, where a description goes, as there aren't any descriptions :o) 
      The text defaults to Lorem Ipsum - I can hide this by changing it to a &nbsp; but then theres a gap . I tried ttheCSS route of making the item display:none; but the description field doesn't have an id or class.  ( <div data-sync="ibox_array_item3_text">&nbsp;</div> )
      What I'm there fore trying to do (unless there's and easier way) is to copy the ibox section to a newly created sections folder themes > skeleton-basic > sections > ibox, where i have put an amended php file with out the lorem ipsum defaults. 
      This isn't making any difference to the front end - if i just edit the iBox in the DMS theme's sections, it's just going to get overwritten on update.
      ...what am i doing wrong? ;o)
    • A Plugin or Section that Can Do This?
      By ahusarek
      Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a plugin, section, theme, etc, that can do the following: split a single image into clickable posts. i.e., I'd like a homepage that is one large image broken up into tiles, like a mosaic. 
      Unfortunately, the site I was going to use as an example changed their homepage. I know there's a way(s) to do it, but my client has limited funds, so I'd really prefer a quick-fix method over writing code, even if I have to shell out 20, 30, 40 bucks...