eglashcreative

Thoughts on header with search / widget functionality

eglashcreative+    2
eglashcreative

Hi all,

I'm currently using Crackbar for my fixed navbar, and full-width sidebar for an additional text area beneath my footer (Footer Column Sidebars).

What I need to do is create an area under Crackbar that can include a search function (preferably just the search widget, not a plugin), and other uses, including maybe a slider or image/logo. Point is, I'm not sure what to use now that Full Width Sidebar has been used.

When I click Drag & Drop / Header, there's nothing to choose from that would allow any of the above. Any ideas? Maybe a Section that I don't see in the Store?

Thanks for your time.

Joe Eglash

Eglash Creative

Simon    247
Simon

Use the contentbox section, its free.

You can put anything inside it, text, html even shortcodes.

eglashcreative+    2
eglashcreative

Simon - Exactly what  I needed, many thanks.

Joe Eglash

Eglash Creative

eglashcreative+    2
eglashcreative

Hmm... though I can't add a search field widget to it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Joe Eglash

Eglash Creative

Rob    547
Rob

Well, you could implement the Universal Sidebar, but this is 'full width' and not broken into containers, so you can't have different components set as widgets. 

Personally, I'd simply add the search widget to a traditional sidebar, rather than attempting to add it to the header area, if, that is, you want to use only the WordPress search. 

That said, if you opt for the Google Search, that could be added to a grid section or a box.  It cannot successfully be added to Morefoot, and I don't recommend it for footer columns. 

Personally, I'd follow Simon's suggestion, then implement a grid within the content box, using the grid found here:  http://demo.pagelines.me/. In one of those grids, you could add the code from Google to include a Google Custom Search. The other grid fields can be used for your other purposes.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio
      Hello,
      I have an older site that was built using PageLines several years ago (prior to the release of DMS). I wanted to leverage some of the power of your new PL5 plugin but the theme prevents be from adding any generated custom sidebars to the theme (through the drag and drop interface) and does not allow me to add any PL5 sections/containers/etc to the header or footer. Is there any way to easily override that or am I stuck only using PL5 in the content areas of the site?
      Thanks so much for the help!
    • John Olsson
      By John Olsson+
      Hello, i'm working on a webshop, and got this code to really boost the search within WP. But when adding this code to functions.php the front end media library search flipped totally, and not working at all, any ideas what's the problem?
      function atom_search_where($where){ global $wpdb; if (is_search()) $where .= "OR (t.name LIKE '%".get_search_query()."%' AND {$wpdb->posts}.post_status = 'publish')"; return $where; } function atom_search_join($join){ global $wpdb; if (is_search()) $join .= "LEFT JOIN {$wpdb->term_relationships} tr ON {$wpdb->posts}.ID = tr.object_id INNER JOIN {$wpdb->term_taxonomy} tt ON tt.term_taxonomy_id=tr.term_taxonomy_id INNER JOIN {$wpdb->terms} t ON t.term_id = tt.term_id"; return $join; } function atom_search_groupby($groupby){ global $wpdb; // we need to group on post ID $groupby_id = "{$wpdb->posts}.ID"; if(!is_search() || strpos($groupby, $groupby_id) !== false) return $groupby; // groupby was empty, use ours if(!strlen(trim($groupby))) return $groupby_id; // wasn't empty, append ours return $groupby.", ".$groupby_id; } add_filter('posts_where','atom_search_where'); add_filter('posts_join', 'atom_search_join'); add_filter('posts_groupby', 'atom_search_groupby');  
    • Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      HI,
      Search function doesn't seem to work. 
      When ever searching for something it redirect to the home page and add the search string to the url.
      For example searching for "cases" it would display https://queue-it.com/?s=cases
      Do you know how to solve that? 
    • JP
      By JP+
      Hello,
      How can you set the translations with platform5, the parts that are not in pages or posts? Texts and images…
    • romanondrasek
      By romanondrasek
      hi all, I have some trouble using PL5 on my site. 
      I used plugins for event calendar (event on) and plugin (timetable responsive scheduler for WP) for schedule (classes) in the gym.
      The problem is, that post from this 2 plugins are shown without menu in header and footer. (I setup header and footer) in the page editor for all type of page. 
      When I create a lesson, it creates posts with slug (I have a slug "lekce" & event for events).
      I try to edit the post with PL editor, but editor is not opening on the post.

Do you have some idea where should be some problem? Thanx so much.
      here are links for the sites :
      site with schedule :
      http://www.myfit.cz/rozvrh/
      site of one of the class (pilates)
      http://www.myfit.cz/lekce/pilates/
      site with calendar :
      http://www.myfit.cz/kalendar/
      7 side with one event from the calendar :
      http://www.myfit.cz/event/pilates-instruktor-akreditovana-licence/?ri=1
      when I have my site on DMS2 it was working :-(