Sign in to follow this  
karengrovesdesignnet

Want Full Width Bottom Sidebar on Homepage

karengrovesdesignnet

Hi - I want to have the full width sidebar on my homepage, not just the inside pages. I saw the THIS POST. Would this also work for iBlogPro? Do I just substitute the theme name in that code? My site is at Fluid Massage Site Also want it on posts too. Thanks, Karen

bryan-hadaway

You simply need enable the check box to show the full width sidebar when editing the home page, then in: Appearance > Widgets add a Text widget to the Bottom Full Width Sidebar with whatever you want in it wrapping it with: `

` If you want it centered. If you can't control the homepage because it was "auto-created" then simply manually create your own "Home" page and then in: Settings > Reading set that page to the home/static page, then you will have complete control over it. Thanks, Bryan

karengrovesdesignnet

Hi Bryan - OK, so I think my next question is a WP newbie one: Can you put blog posts into a static page? (I've never used a static page before). I'll have a look at the WP codex meanwhile. Karen

karengrovesdesignnet

I'm back...a quick look at the WP Codex tells me putting a post into a static page is not possible. So, as I don't want a static page for this particular site, is there another way, perhaps with inserting a line of php into the index.php to accomplish this? Thanks again, Karen

cmunns

Karen, Why were you thinking you wanted blog posts on a static page? There are plug-ins and widgets available that allow you to put recent posts or popular posts or other variations have you tried those?

karengrovesdesignnet

Hi Adam Actually, I don't want that...I was just responding to Bryan's suggestion. We don't want a static homepage because we want the front page to function as the blog. My ultimate goal is to get the full width sidebar on the homepage page. Karen :)

cmunns

In your morefoot.php file Change this line: `if(m_pagelines('full_width_widget', $pagelines_ID) && VPRO):?>` to this: `if((m_pagelines('full_width_widget', $pagelines_ID) && VPRO) || is_home()):?>` That should work.

karengrovesdesignnet

Hi Adam - Worked, with one caveat..the footer has now disappeared from my interior pages . I am wanting it on all pages so apologies if I wasn't clear. I see that it is still in the custom field on each page but it is not appearing. One other note: the first line in the _morefooter.php file said $post->ID instead of $pagelins->ID. Can I add $pagelins->ID back in to get the footer on all pages?

bryan-hadaway

I think possibly you need to remove the `?>` at the end making it: `if((m_pagelines('full_width_widget', $pagelines_ID) && VPRO) || is_home())` I could be wrong, but maybe it's a syntax error or the conditional tag needs to be reworked? Please wait for more support from Adam. As for showing blog posts wherever you want (without the use of a typical posts plugin), try this: http://www.corvidworks.com/articles/wordpress-content-on-other-pages Thanks, Bryan

cmunns

If you want it on every page you could just remove the conditional all together. So the if statement and the endif statement that wrap around the call to the fullwidth sidebar widget

karengrovesdesignnet

Sorry guys - I'm not getting this to work (and I'm not much of a php pro). Here's what I did. First, I commented out the following code in my _morefooter.php file:

<?php if(m_pagelines('full_width_widget', $pagelines->ID) && VPRO) || is_home()):?>
		<div id="fullwidth_bottom_widgets" class="widget">
		<?php if (!function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar('Full-Width Bottom Sidebar')) : ?>
			<div class="widget">
			<p class="subtle"><?php _e('Full width widgets selected but no widgets have been added.',TDOMAIN);?></p>
			</div>
		<?php endif;?>
		</div>
	<?php endif;?>

Result: No full width footer on any pages. Next I tried Bryan's suggestion of removing the ?>, but that returns a parse error. Can you give me step-by-step instructions? Thanks, and btw, I appreciate you always answering the questions on this forum. K

cmunns

sorry, to remove the conditional it would look like this: `

<?php if (!function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar('Full-Width Bottom Sidebar')) : ?>

<?php _e('Full width widgets selected but no widgets have been added.',TDOMAIN);?>

<?php endif;?>
` This should put it on all pages.

karengrovesdesignnet

Bingo! Thank you Adam! Karen