mckdesign

Where is original .searchfield LESS located?

mckdesign

Hi. I've been modifying the navbar section in my child theme, and there's a bare minimum of styling for the searchfield in that section's style.less file. When I check the compiled CSS on the site, I'm finding much more CSS defined for .searchform .searchfield

With the multtitude of LESS files, in the LESS directory and in the Sections directories, I get lost trying to track down where the original CSS/LESS is.

Or am I worrying too much about getting it all and should just override in the main style.less in my child theme? I want to keep it all as optimized as possible but am making a lot of customization, so I'm looking for a pointer on the best technique I guess.

Thanks for insights on best practices.

James B

Hi there,

I'm not sure where all the core code is for the search tab exactly, but having a quick look through http://phpxref.pagelines.com/ it seems there's some more in the LESS folder under pl-core.less which ties with the responsive sizes etc. The styles you set in the main LESS file for the navbar section will be used when the css compiles.

I'd think the easiest way would be to copy all the code directly from the compiled css relating to the searchfield, then edit that and place into the style.css of the child theme.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

mckdesign

Thanks for the link, James. I'll dive into that this morning.

My concern with the compiled CSS is isn't doesn't capture the root of the LESS, which addresses multiple browsers and the like. However, if I can't track down the LESS, I'll mod the compile and go from there.

mckdesign

Solution found: I loaded up a local copy of a PageLines theme directory (fresh, untouched) as a local root in Coda and searched files. Seconds later, I have my culprit (it's in forms.less).

James B

Excellent, glad you found it, thanks for posting the solution

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B