Sign in to follow this  
dhrose

Customization...

dhrose

I'm using PageLines pro latest version and I was trying to add some styles to my style.css file in the editor and I realized nothing is happening. So now I'm trying to figure out whether I'm supposed to be adding these to the pagelines-customize style sheet or the child theme style sheet? I'm using the base theme, but I downloaded the customizations plugin... can these not be active simultaneously... and or should I be adding styles to one or the other? If I go into Editor/plugins/customize.php/pageline-customize/style.css it says (inactive). But the customize plugin is active?

Hmmm... the customize plugin is in wp-content/plugins/pagelines-customize

So where does the custom css go? 

dhrose

Hmmm... maybe I asked this wrong. I usually add styles to the child theme style sheet in appearance/editor. Is that the way to do this with the PageLines Base theme. I DLd the customize plugin also, so maybe that's conflicting or something is not installed correctly?

I've added some stuff the the "custom css" which works but that's not the right way to do this...  

Simon

You can user either a child theme or the customize plugin, or both. Its really up to you.

dhrose

O.K. So why isn't my custom css added to the style.css in editor changing the site? I tried adding the code in admin and through Dreamweaver on my site... nothing is changing? 

Simon

If you provide a URL I might be able to help.

dhrose

dhrcreative.com/wordpress

I started working on this (after some time) again to replace my current site, but haven't moved it to public_html yet. Unfortunately I'm now switching hosting services so I have to move all this as well. I backed up the database, but not sure if I should just load a fresh wordpress install on the new service and try and load the database? This install may be screwed up also...

Thanks. 

Simon

Well i see css in both the child theme and the plugin, so if the css isnt working just means the css code isnt right thats all.

dhrose

Er, the same code is now in "custom code" in the PageLines admin and it works the way it's supposed to? I originally put it in the style.css in the child theme... then tried the style.css in the customize plugin. Neither worked. Then I put it in the custom css and it works exactly as expected.

I usually add styles to the child style.css don't know why this isn't working? I can remove the styles from custom, and the style.css files and try again in one location? This is the code that's added to custom...

.content .content-pad {
padding: 30px;
}

.fullwidth #column-main .mcolumn-pad {
padding-right: 0px;
padding-left: 0px;
}

.one-sidebar-right #column-main .mcolumn-pad, .two-sidebar-right #column-main .mcolumn-pad {
padding: 14px 30px 0 5px;
}

.widget-title, #footer li h5 a, .main_nav, .author-details, .post-nav, .current_posts_info, #secondnav {
font-size: 130%;
}

.widget ul li {
font-size: 1.1em;
list-style: none;
display: block;
padding: 0 2px;
}

li {
line-height: 25px;
}

Danny

If you're CSS isn't working in your child theme or the customise plugin but is when added to the CSS / LESS Editor option in Site Options > Custom Code. Then you will most likely need to use one of the PageLines overrides.

For more information on the PageLines override, see our custom CSS documentation - http://support.pagelines.me/docs/customization/custom-css/

Please search our forums, before posting!

dhrose

I'll check overrides... but yes, I know the code in the theme and custom plugin are different... I was experimenting to see if it would work. When it wasn't updating the site I tried adding some different code didn't bother to remove it when the custom was working... (frustration maybe)

I'll remove all the code from the style.css and see what's up.

Thanks!

Rob

Let us know if that works.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

dhrose

O.K. I stripped out everything and put the code in the customize – style.css (Dreamweaver) and it is working without overrides... Great.

...Now, I've switched hosting services, I backed up my SQL database to my computer, what's the best way to move what I have (PageLines base theme), to the new host?

Thanks!

Rob

Hi,

To export the PageLines settings, go to Dashboard > PageLines > Dashboard > Import-Export.  Use the export functions to save a file containing all your settings.  Note:  This doesn't save plugins, so if you've set up your new site, install all plugins separately.

To export your posts, sliders, boxes, banners, pages, etc, go to Dashboard > Tools > Export. 

When you're ready, just import the files for each back into your site.

dhrose

So I should just do a base wordpress install at the new site, then do an import of my PageLines backup? Does that bring my account settings etc. along with it... i.e. PageLines Pro etc. I realize I'll have to reload all the plugins, but will the child theme (base theme) be backed up as well... 

Rob

Honestly, I think the export only includes the settings, and doesn't include anything like child themes or PageLines itself.  You should probably install PageLines and the child theme too, then let the export file bring over things like color settings, font selections, etc. It would probably be best to process the import last, so that it has all the same plugins to work with as in the original installation.

dhrose

Hmmm... So I guess I can't just copy everything from the folder... I have to reinstall PageLines? Does that install the base theme (child theme)... can't remember, it's been awhile since I installed and I'm trying to refresh my wordpress memory overall. Unfortunately!

Thanks... 

Rob

PageLines should be installed fresh, I believe, to ensure that it's picking up all server settings, like permalinks. You just login here: http://www.pagelines.com/launchpad/member.php and download the latest version from My Account. The Base Theme is installed very easily once you've installed PageLines and entered your credentials. You will find the Base Theme at Dashboard > PageLines > Store > Themes > Top Free.

You can then copy the stylesheet from the old installation's base theme folder to the new one using FTP. You can also do the same thing with the PageLines Customize plugin.

dhrose

I've loaded Wordpress on the new host so I'm loading PageLines and base theme...

In the Export section I only have Export Settings file... I don't see Dashboard – Export – Tools?  Where's the sliders, banners, posts etc.??? Don't want to lose those... 

dhrose

Update on this... I moved to a new hosting service and backed up all my stuff... I used the export settings in PageLines dashboard to export my Pagelines site. But apparently I forgot to use the wordpress export plugin to export the pages, posts etc. For some reason I was thinking this was part of the Pagelines import/export. Forgot...

Is there any way to get all my pages, etc. back into my new wordpress install after the fact??? I have a new install of wordpress with the Pagelines framework installed on my new host and I've reloaded my plugins and the pagelines.settings.dat file. None of the pages are showing up in the new install of course. I did back up the sql databases as well (old site). Although I haven't tried to put them on the new site yet.

I have my old site backed up but not sure how to fix the new site...

Thanks!

Rob

Did you close the old site down? 

It wasn't Dashboard > Export > Tools. It was Dashboard > Tools > Export, just to be clear.  We don't want you chasing missing links.

If the old site is still up, then you can still login there and export the content.  If you shut down the old site (server) before migrating, then you may not be able to do this.

dhrose

Edit: I meant I used the Pagelines import/export settings... I did not use the wordpress/Tools/Export... I have the old site backed up but it's not accessible anymore at my old host as of today. Unfortunately it just switched over today... Am I outa' luck?

James B

Hi there, yes you if the site is no longer available you won't be able to export using that method from inside Pagelines.

However as you have backed up the sql database you can import that in to the new site. http://codex.wordpress.org/Restoring_Your_Database_From_Backup

If you're still having trouble, make sure that your wp-config.php file is pointed at the right database.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Simon

if you have the sql backup you could install wp locally using mamp or whatever, then import the entire database. THEN export the posts.

If you set mamp up correctly using a virtual host your urls for images etc will still be correct when you import the posts back into your new site.