Sign in to follow this  
triggeru571

Add 2nd horizontal menu beneath main menu

triggeru571

Hi everyone,

new to pagelines and am just setting up my navigation. I currently am moving my site from Joomla to WP and need to create an as identical site as possible. So my issue is that I need a secondary navigation below my main. I created the main navigation
but I cannot seem to get a secondary one working. I tried to add Classic Nav but all it shows is the menu from the main, though the position is correct. What can I do?

Here is what I am trying to achieve:

Menu 1

Home | Link1 | Link2 | Link3 | Link4

Second Menu

Link1A | Link2A | Link3A | Link4A

Thanks

M

Rob

Hi,

Depending on how you wish to apply the menu - or to select the lower menu links, you could implement a Secondary Nav below either your NavBar or Nav Classic.  To do this, go to Dashboard > PageLines > Drag & Drop > Header and make sure you have either NavBar or Nav Classic listed in Active Sections.  In vertical order, add Secondary Menu below that.

You then go to Dashboard > Appearance > Menus and create a new, secondary menu. Add new menu items, as desired.

Lastly, go to Dashboard > PageLines > Page Options  and select each tab, one at a time, except Site Defaults.  Scroll to the bottom, where you'll see a drop down selector for Secondary Nav Menu.  Select the one you created at Appearance > Menus.

You can also create multiple secondary menus at Dashboard > Appearance > Menus and apply different ones in different places.

These may also be applied at the page or post level, in PageLines Meta Settings.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

triggeru571

Thanks Rob, but unfortunatly I still don't get it. I think what is confusing me is the line

In vertical order, add Secondary Menu below that.

Do you mean the Secondary Nav in the drag and drop? If so it still does not show up and I followed your other steps where you said

You then go to Dashboard > Appearance > Menus and create a new, secondary menu. Add new menu items, as desired.

Lastly, go to Dashboard > PageLines > Page Options  and select each tab, one at a time, except Site Defaults.  Scroll to the bottom, where you'll see a drop down selector for Secondary Nav Menu.  Select the one you created at Appearance > Menus.

So where do I get this second menu from as I cannot clone the Main Nav or Classic Nav?

Rob

If you go to Dashboard > PageLines > Drag & Drop > Header, you can drag the Secondary Nav tab from Available sections to Active Sections.  You can see in the image below, that it should be placed below the primary nav (in my case,  Nav Classic).  The vertical order of the tabs in Active Sections determines the vertical order in which they'll appear on your site. So, to place the Secondary Nav below the primary menu visually on the site, you must place it lower than the primary menu in Drag & Drop.

post-6-0-96677800-1365261250_thumb.jpg

The red arrow represents moving from Available to Active Sections.

Below, you can see a typical setup for a Secondary Nav in Dashboard > Appearance > Menus. One creates a new menu by typing the new menu's name in the field labelled Menu Name and clicking Save Menu. Once completed, you add menu items to the menu, so they appear in the white space as dragged elements. In the image below, you see two categories added, but you may add pages or custom links, as desired.

post-6-0-11415800-1365261497_thumb.jpg

The secondary menu must be created and populated in order for it to appear after being selected.  The secondary menu doesn't appear automatically, like a primary menu (NavBar, Nav Classic or BrandNav). It must be manually selected either on a page basis or via the Page Options, for semi-global application (for areas like Categories, or Blog Page).

triggeru571

OK did all that the first time. The only thing I did not do was to select the secondary tab on the actual Blog Post. I thought that by selecting it from Page Options > Blog Page it would appear automatically on all blog pages without the need to select it again on individual posts? Is there no way to have the secondary menu appear across the site (including Pages) through Pagelines or should I just hardcode it into the template?

Rob

Of course, the alternative way would be to use a Full-Width sidebar instead of Secondary Nav, and then create a horizontal list of links. Placed in the Header area, it will be universal to the entire site. That said, it would also require considerable customization and CSS to style the font, links, hover activity, etc.