londonremade

Browser specific CSS ie8 hiding Carousel section

londonremade    0
londonremade

Hi,

I am trying to hide the carousel section (which is displaying thumbnails from recent posts) in IE8, because it doesn't display properly.

I have done this for mobiles with:

body.mobile .section-carousel {
display: none;
}

and its working fine. I have tried the same for IE8 by replacing body.mobile with body.ie8 and it's having no effect.

Adding:

body.ie8 .crsl {
display: none !IMPORTANT;
}

Makes the carousel disappear but also makes the background image disappear! The carousel is only on certain pages so this only affects those pages with the carousel.

Any ideas?

greenfly    230
greenfly

Could you link us to your site please?

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

londonremade    0
londonremade

http://londonremade.com

I am happy with the carousel in Chrome, Firefox, and versions of IE later than 8, but it was too small on a phone, and just doesn't display properly in IE8. I understand this is because IE8 doesn't support some of the CSS and HTML that makes up the carousel, so I just want it to not display!

Thanks

greenfly    230
greenfly

The free plugin Browser Specific CSS ''adds new classes to the main body tag in the html of your page, so if your viewing the page on a PC in chrome, it adds desktop chrome to the tags, if your on an iphone it adds iphone, it supports all major browsers and mobile/tablets. This makes it possible to target these browsers in your custom css.'' http://www.pagelines.com/store/plugins/browser-css/ 

Using Firebug or your browsers built-in web dev tools, inspect the Carousel element to find the correct code.

For assistance visit our custom CSS documentation - http://support.pagelines.me/docs/customization/custom-css/

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

londonremade    0
londonremade

Martin,

I have the browser specific css plugin activated, and I know the CSS selector for the carousel as I used it to hide the carousel on mobile devices.

It doesn't seem to be working for IE8 however - I target IE8 using body.ie8 and the Carousel using .section-carousel, tell it to {display: none;} and nothing happens.

The documentation doesn't help I'm afraid.

Any other suggestions?

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

The code you have used should work.

body.ie8 .section-carousel {
display:none;
}

Can you add this again and so we can test IE8 on BrowserStack.

Please search our forums, before posting!

londonremade    0
londonremade

OK, the code is in there.

I have just tried emptying the cache and that hasn't made a difference either. Bloody Carousel is still showing up!

Thanks.

Danny    1,327
Danny

I do not have access to IE8, therefore can do the following please.

1. Enable PageLines debug mode - PageLines > Site Options > Advanced.

2. Disable any cache plugins you may have installed.

3. Copy your custom CSS into our paste service and provide a link to the paste - http://paste.pagelines.com/

londonremade    0
londonremade

Sorry, cache plugins are?

Danny    1,327
Danny

If you do not know what they are, then you most likely haven't installed on. So do the above minus disabling cache plugin suggestion.

Danny    1,327
Danny

OK, that code should work.

Can you remove all comments /* */ from your custom CSS along with all your custom CSS, except for the body.ie8 CSS and see if this resolves your issue.

**Add your custom CSS to a text file, so you don't lose it.

londonremade    0
londonremade

No joy. Tried removing everything except all the body.ie8 CSS and that didn't work. Tried removing everything except the body.ie8 .section-carousel CSS and that didn't work either.

It's a head scratcher!

Danny    1,327
Danny

OK, I am going to bring this to our developers attention as I am unable to test this, due to not having access to IE8. I will reply here when I have more information.

nfp1900    29
nfp1900

With the worldwide user penetration  of IE8 standing at just 5.5% http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp I advised one client to upgrade when their site was behaving erratically on some PC's. But you will have to evaluate the risk for this project.

Simon    247
Simon

The reason there is no background is you are hiding the carousel, then when the carousel javascript runs it errors out because there is no carousel there! The background js will never run because the compiler has stopped.

So instead of hiding it use absolute positioning to send it 2 miles off the page.

londonremade    0
londonremade

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate that the number of people using IE8 is low, I was just hoping to make our site accessible to as many people as possible, as long as it only takes a reasonable amount of effort to do so. So I definitely won't be faffing around with IE7  - but just being able to make the carousel { display:none } doesn't seem too much of an ask.

Simon_P thanks for your suggestion, I'll give that a go.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Keep us updated and let us know, if Simon's suggestion resolves your issue.

londonremade    0
londonremade

No joy with absolute positioning. It's a stubborn little bugger!

Simon    247
Simon

What code are you using now?

.ie8 .jcarousel-container {
    top-10000px !important;
    positionabsolute !important;
}

londonremade    0
londonremade

Just tried that code (I had tried .section-carousel before and that didn't work) and it did the same as { display: none; }

The carousel was gone but so was the background image!

Simon    247
Simon

Right.. install and activate the customize plugin... then add this code to the functions.php in that plugin:

https://gist.github.com/5338286

Dont forget to add your pageid.

This disables the section completely for that page.

londonremade    0
londonremade

Still no good. Didn't remove the Carousel.