Sign in to follow this  
wnshoemaker

Changing Permalinks Breaks CSS

wnshoemaker

Hi,

I built a site on my localhost, and moved to a live server today (Rackspace Cloud Hosting).  My site loaded as if there were no CSS files. 

If I set Permalinks to "default", the site displays perfectly.  If I change Permalinks to "post name", the site loses all the compiled CSS, and is a jumbled mess, plus the pages don't work.

When I moved the site, I followed the instructions in this post:  LINK.

The site looked awful right from the start.  When I changed the Permalink settings to "default" the site instantly displayed correctly.  I can basically "toggle" this behavior by changing the Permalink settings back and forth between "default" and "post_name".

Any ideas what I've done wroong?  I've checked my .htaccess file and it seems to be correct. 

Thanks, all.  I can email private links if needed.

Rob

Hi,

To clarify, the custom permalink you are using is post_name or is it /%postname%/  ?

Do you have any hardcoded links in your CSS that are dynamic, versus full URLs? 

This source explains all you'll need to know about Permalinks: 

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Rob

When viewing the site after changing the permalinks, what exactly happens? Images or backgrounds are failing to display?

wnshoemaker

In wordpress, under the Permalinks settings, I'm ticking the radio button next to "Post name".

I have a LOT of custom CSS entered into the Pagelines Custom CSS section.  I see the "compiled CSS" files under "../uploads/pagelines".  It's almost like those aren't working.  Not sure where to go from here.

wnshoemaker

When viewing the site after changing the permalinks, what exactly happens? Images or backgrounds are failing to display?

When I change the permalinks to "Post name", all of the images and backgrounds are there, but they are just displayed in a line down the page.  (ie: the background image shows up, but doens't repeat) .. All of the site elements just fill the page in a vertical line.  No fonts or sizes are correct.

Rob

Please send a link to [email protected] and I'll have a look. It sounds like there's something wrong in your CSS.

Copy all your custom CSS and paste it to the Direct Input tab here:  http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

If there are any errors, or breaks, that will let you know.

wnshoemaker

Please send a link to [email protected] and I'll have a look. It sounds like there's something wrong in your CSS.

Copy all your custom CSS and paste it to the Direct Input tab here:  http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

If there are any errors, or breaks, that will let you know.

Ok.  I fixed my issue.  :-)

My apologies for the private message and taking your time.  I should have read the link you sent me more closely. 

At the very bottom is a blurb about "AllowOverride" not being enabled.  This applied to me, apparently.  Without "AllowOverride" being enabled, the .htaccess file is essentially useless. I as able to edit the Apache httpd.conf file to enable this setting and reboot the virtual server.

I re-enabled the permalinks and she works perfectly.  Apparently, without this, the compiled CSS files cannot be read, causing all of my issues!

THANKS AGAIN!  Just wanted to share in case anyone else has issues with this.

Rob

It's great that you were able to fix it.  Glad that worked.