Sign in to follow this  
loiborg

How to remove | (pipe/vertical bar) from title tag?

loiborg    0
loiborg

Hi there,

On my site there’s a pipe/vertical bar (the | character) in the <title>-tag, even though I’m not using a tagline for the site. There’s a page title and that’s it - the tagline field in settings > general is completely empty (no spaces or anything like that).

So my question is - where do I remove the pipe/vertical bar?

the output is now:

<title>Title |</title>

but I want

<title>Title</title>

I haven’t been able to find a solution on the forums or on the web as it seems there shouldn’t be the pipe if the field is empty.

WordPress Version : 3.5.1
Framework Version : 2.4.1
Framework Build : 2.4.1
PHP Version : 5.2
Licence : Pro

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi,

If you install a SEO plugin, this should allow you to remove the vBar. We recommend Wordpress SEO by Yoast.

Please search our forums, before posting!

loiborg    0
loiborg

Hi Danny,

I don't see why I would want to install a plugin to do such a simple thing as removing the vBar. It shouldn't be there at all which seems like a mistake on my end (and I can't see what that could be as I've checked the relevant areas) or a mistake in the theme itself.

Rob    547
Rob

Hi,

The pipe in the title tag is not placed there by PageLines, but by WordPress. Every site based on WordPress has that pipe in its title tag, however, Danny is quite correct that it may be replaced using a plugin as cited here:  http://wpjourno.com/wordpress-seo-title-tags/

Its purpose is to tell search engines where your site's title ends and its description begins. Some indicator is mandatory to prevent search engines from combining the two. This would be most disadvantageous to yours or any other site.

There are several topics in the WordPress forums that discuss this.  Here's one, but again, if you do this it will seriously harm your standing in search engines.  You'd undertake this of your own responsibility.  We do not support it. Here's a forum topic with a potential answer.  http://wordpress.org/support/topic/strange-pipe-symbol-before-my-html-title-tage

Please remember that if you're modifying WP core files,  they will likely be overwritten when WP upgrades next.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur