James Giroux

Removing Whitespace Between Content Section and Following Section

James Giroux+    2
James Giroux

Hey There.  So I've looked around the forums a bit and have discovered that this is a fairly common request but most of the responses are section specific.  Meaning, that when someone wants whitespace removed, the response is specific to the section selectors they need.  So, in an effort to round out that system (and get my question answered), on my home page I have my content section placed before my callout section, however the amount of padding/whitespace is excessive.  What are the CSS selectors I should be referencing when trying to reduce the vertical distance between sections?  For example, what I've seen other places is stuff like this:

#site #page, #site #dynamic-content { min-height: 100px; }

That doesn't seem to do the trick.  When I look at it through Chrome Dev Tools, I can't seem to find a selector that specifies padding for the content, so here's where I need some help.  

Here's a screencast link: http://www.screencast.com/t/QrMSfRn4LG

Thanks for any direction on how to fix this.

James.

James Giroux, CEO
Groundwork

James B    436
James B

Hi James

Can we take a link to the live page please and we'll take a look. From the screenshot image you attached the css you pasted above should have removed a bulk of the space from what I can see.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

James B    436
James B

Ok its a combination of different elements making up all that space.

I use firebug as it shows the areas which have padding/margins as a highlighted blue or yellow block, i find that's the quickest and easiest way to track them down. I would imagine chrome has something similar.

So when you inspect the element, scroll up and down in the html just above and below the element you land on, if you see a block of thick dark blue/yellow appear that indicates that that div you're hovering over has the padding/margin applied to it.

So click on that div and you'll see the css load up in the right hand window and you'll be able to track it down.

Recorded you a short video to show this - http://screencast.com/t/QdC5BCs3

So from there you can see there's 25px padding in the .hentry-pad and a margin of 25px in the first-post.

But if you then looker deeper into that section you'll see each of the ba boxes have additional margins applied to.

http://screencast.com/t/8yEwNfROP

Hope that helps

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

eileen    0
eileen

thanks for trying to help. I see all of my padding and they all seem to be set to 0. Do you think that I have eliminated all of the padding on my site and the white spaces just have to stay as is?

James B    436
James B

Hi Eileen,

I've just checked your site and yes, looks like you've done a good job. There's no padding around the logo, the nav or the boxes that I can see. The logo seems to have a gap at the bottom before the nav, but that's due to the section being given a set height of 130px, not to padding. That will be coming from the .section-branding

James B