Sign in to follow this  
barryevans

IE8 formatting issue

barryevans    2
barryevans

Folks,

My site works ok on IE9 and on FireFox 19.0, however for some reason IE8 the menu bar displays the menu name intended for small screens and the business branding section is not formatting correctly.

FYI, I am using the latest version of Pagelines / Wordpress and for the branding  I am using a plugin called Business Branding.

Site URL is: http://tinyurl.com/a5vt5bc

Screenshot attached

Many thanks in advance.

post-48624-0-75029600-1362411105_thumb.p

catrina    103
catrina

Please deactivate ALL active non-PageLines plugins and see if the problem persists.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

barryevans    2
barryevans

Thank you for you reply.

I can confirm I have disabled all third party plugins but unfortuantly the same issue exists.

Rob    547
Rob

Hi,

PageLines Framework is written in HTML5 and CSS3.  As a result, many things do not work in IE8 as those languages were written long after IE8 was created.  Sometimes, things don't work in IE8, as much as we'd like them to.

As for the menu, I'd recommend using our Browser Specific CSS plugin (free) in our Store. This may provide the solution, but before that I'd recommend checking the compatibility of Business Branding.  So, I'm moving this topic for that plugin author to check this issue. It's a very well supported product.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

Jenny    33
Jenny

I've alerted the Business Branding developer of this topic.

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

ellenmva    112
ellenmva

Hi Barry,

I'm Business Branding's developer.  I'm not sure what is causing the issue with everything squishing to the right.  It may be the background image with your telephone number and email.  If you look at the Demo Site in IE8 everything aligns properly.

If you could take off the background image and see if that makes the icons position properly.  Also, you may want to use the Additional Business Info section to put in the phone number and email, that way it gets picked up by search engines and is clickable on mobile devices.

The other option is to add a width to that area. You can do that in Pagelines --> Site Options --> Custom Code.  And try,

#page .section-business-branding .business-info {width: 160px;}

As far as I am aware there aren't any issues between the navbar and Business Branding.  It seems Menu showing happens whether Business Branding is in the header or not.  As Rob suggested, the Browser Specific CSS plugin is great for taking care of IE 8 issues. So, if you need to but a width on the area and you use the browser specific plugin then you just add .ie8 to the beginning of the css.

Let me know if any of the suggestions solved the issue.

Ellen

Ellen Moore

Pagelines Developer

www.elsue.com www.betterdms.com

barryevans    2
barryevans

Hi Ellen

Thank you for you reply, I will try what you have suggested and let you know how I get on.

Best regards,

Barry

• Like 1

barryevans    2
barryevans

Thank you, specifying the width has resolved this issue

• Like 1