Sign in to follow this  
firelogic

Spiriting feature Slideshow

firelogic

Well I want to start by thanking pagelines for a 92/100 in google pagespeed. However now I'm getting a bit greedy. 

How would we go about creating Sprites for the features to reduce HTML requests.

Rob

Hi,

I'm not sure you can use sprites for the feature slider. It's a bit of an older technology, so I'm not sure if it can adapt to such a change very easily.   Since the ultimate goal in using sprites is to reduce the number of server calls and bandwidth, there may be other solutions.

For example, we have a different slider that may be quicker than the Feature Slider found here: http://demo.pagelines.me/tools/

The carousel slider is quite different from the traditional slider and may save a good amount of bandwidth for you.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

firelogic

Does the carousel slider wrap the images or text in JS, cant lose out on the SEO in having the content count either. The Features slider loads all the images and then uses JS to align them. I've seen them jump before on slow connections. 

James B

Hi there, yes the carousel slider will use js. If you want to use the feature slider add the following css code below to stop the features stacking and them jumping into place on slow connections.

#page #feature-area {
overflow: hidden;
}

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

firelogic

Yep thats the think with SEO... you can optimize to all high hell but if google cant see it then whats the point. 

James B

Hi there,

According to a post our developer contributed on recently on SEO within sections, he said

'Google will look at your page like raw html, it ignores javascript and css data. So if there is data in the raw html it will see it.'

Check out this thread for the full conversation (most info is on the second page of this thread)- http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/10487-using-yoast-wordpress-seo/?hl=yoast

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

firelogic

I just opened the slideshow without JS or CSS and saw that all the images and descriptions load as Raw HTML in the carousel slider as well as the feature slider. Thank you that was the exact answer I was looking for. So if anyone wants a sprited slideshow there is your answer -> Use the carousel slider, (It allows you to load images directly, Lighter on Resources, Google Still Sees your Content)

Thanks for all the help..!

James B

You're welcome :-)

James B