kenxo

Navigation Menu on Left, NextGen Gallery as body

kenxo

I am trying to setup my photography website using a fixed left hand navigation menu with nextgen galleries as part of the body.  The problem is I can only drag and drop the carousel to the page template and not the content area.  The result is that carousel always resides on the top or bottom of my left nav menu and not in the body section where I really want it to be.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Danny

Hi,

Unfortunately, the Carousel section is only available in the Page Template Area and not the Content area. However, what you can do is create a child Carousel section and make changes to the Carousels workswith which will add it to the Content Area.

Please bear in mind that if you proceed with this method, we will be unable to provide assistance, as we do not support edits to core files.

Before you start with creating a child section, you will need to be using a child theme, otherwise this is not possible.

1. Download a fresh copy of PageLines Framework and extract the zip.

2. Open up your favourite FTP client and navigate to your child themes sections folder.

wp-content/themes/child theme/sections/  (The child theme by default is called pagelines-template-theme)

3. Goto the unzipped PageLines Framework that you had downloaded/unzipped in #1

4. Navigate to the sections folder and find the Carousel Folder.

5. Upload the Carousel folder to your Child themes sections folder.

6. Once uploaded, you now have a child Carousel section.

7. Using your FTP client and if correctly configured, you should be able to edit files. You will need to go to your Child Carousels folder and open up the section.php file.

8. Once opened, find this line.

Workswith: content, header, footer 

Replace it with the following:

Workswith: main, content, header, footer

Save the file and then go to PageLines > Drag & Drop > Content Area and the Carousel section should be available.

Please remember that should you proceed with this, we will be unable to provide support for any issues or questions, you may have regarding this child section.

Please search our forums, before posting!

kenxo

Many thanks for your quick response and help.

On step #2 when I FTP to my site there wasn't a folder names child theme:

wp-content/themes/child theme/sections/  (The child theme by default is called pagelines-template-theme)

Assuming that this meant create the path wp-content/themes/pagelines-template-theme/sections/ I proceeded to do so, then copied the carousel section and modified as per the rest of the steps.

However, I must be missing a step somewhere as the pagelines child theme tab is still showing "A PageLines child theme is not currently activated" and WP is showing:

Broken Themes

The following themes are installed but incomplete. Themes must have a stylesheet and a template.

Name Description pagelines-template-theme Stylesheet is missing.

I looked on the Pagelines site for how to install/create child themes but couldn't find anything.  Many thanks for any help you may provide.

Danny

Hi,

I meant enable the Base Child theme from the PageLines store.

PageLines > Store > Themes > Select the Base child theme.

Once installed and set as the active theme, when you view your themes folder via FTP, you will have a structure like this;

WordPress Root/
  ├── wp-admin/
  │    
  ├── wp-content/
  │   └──themes/
  │      └──pagelines/
  │      └──pagelines-template-theme/
  │            └──functions.php/
  │            └──info.txt/
  │            └──page.example.php/
  │            └──screenshot.png/
  │            └──sections/
  │            └──setup.php/
  │            └──style.css/
  │            └──thumb.png/
  │
  └── wp-includes/

You then add the section to the sections folder and proceed with the edits. Therefore, if you have manually created this directory, I suggest you delete it before proceeding with the installation of the child theme, as it may cause some issues.

Please search our forums, before posting!

kenxo

Fantastic!  Following your instructions I was able to get the site working exactly as I envisioned.  I'll still need to make a few "tweaks" to perfect the look and feel but this helped me tremendously.

By the way, I was able to do the same thing with my branding section that allowed me to "push" my logo into side bar 1.  This achieves my goal of maximizing the image display area without requiring the user to scroll up and down since there is no header section required now.

I know I've gone "off the grid" for support so other folks using this helpful advice please proceed at your own risk but it seems to be a stable solution for me.  Maybe in the future the Pageline's team will make this a standard option if it makes sense to do so.  It really is a simple fix and gives users a lot more flexibility in designing their sites.

Thanks again for your help Danny!