Simon

The quest for speed.

tsalstrand    8
tsalstrand

I want to back up Danny on what he said above and add a few things.

Get a VPS (Virtual Private Server)... there are tons of options, but Hostgator offers them, starting at $19/mo.  That's cheap!  Yeah, shared hosting might only cost you $5-$9, but come on... 

Caching
Use W3tc (W3 Total Cache)... I use it all the time and just last night I took a client's site that was loading around 9000ms with a page size of 860kb and 55 requests down to 1250ms on the load time.  Then added a CDN and he was getting around 0850ms on load times.  I can consistently get sites under 1 second load times with W3tc.  Also remember, if you have additional folders/subdomains that are not on WP, set caching in your .htaccess file.

In using a CDN, I prefer Rackspace.

Nick II    0
Nick II

Just wanted to add that Pagelines doesn't work great with Site5 shared hosting. Everything works great up until you get to the Pagelines setup stuff (page options, drag & drop, etc), nothing loads.

Here's to wasting a few days transferring and checking the sites. I wouldn't mind if Platform pro worked bad on Site5 too, but it worked great! Annoying.

Simon    247
Simon

Perhaps you should open a support topic.

markmanson    0
markmanson

I also use W3 Total Cache and recommend it. We are also using MaxCDN at the moment, which seems to be recommended everywhere.

Some useful websites for testing and improving your website's speed:

Google Pagespeed: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights

Pingdom Tools: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/

YSlow: http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/

WebPageTest: http://www.webpagetest.org

I have a question for the experts. I successfully set up MaxCDN and W3 Total Cache for our blog, but Pingdom Tools still reports that files are not loaded from a cookieless domain. How do I make this happen?

Danny    1,327
Danny

@MarkManson - Please create a new topic.

Please search our forums, before posting!

brightonkeller+    0
brightonkeller

I want to back up Danny on what he said above and add a few things.

Get a VPS (Virtual Private Server)... there are tons of options, but Hostgator offers them, starting at $19/mo.  That's cheap!  Yeah, shared hosting might only cost you $5-$9, but come on... 

Caching
Use W3tc (W3 Total Cache)... I use it all the time and just last night I took a client's site that was loading around 9000ms with a page size of 860kb and 55 requests down to 1250ms on the load time.  Then added a CDN and he was getting around 0850ms on load times.  I can consistently get sites under 1 second load times with W3tc.  Also remember, if you have additional folders/subdomains that are not on WP, set caching in your .htaccess file.

In using a CDN, I prefer Rackspace.

hey! I have ALL this except I haven't messed with a CDN because I'm nervous. but people STILL complain about my page speed. I have my own VPS/dedicated server. 

Rob    547
Rob

Brighton,

I've just replied to you in another topic you opened on this subject.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

jbrouwer    5
jbrouwer

Some other tips not mentioned above:

1. Optimize your images for the web before uploading them + install smush it.
  2. Often plugins load their js and css files on all pages! Instead of only on those where they are needed. This can dramatically slow down your site completely unnecessary. Contact the developer to change this and in the meantime dequeue them on all other pages or at least on the most important pages, e.g. your homepage. See http://www.position-relative.com/2010/wordpress/wordpress-only-load-plugins-on-pages-that-need-them/ and http://www.position-relative.com/2010/wordpress/wordpress-only-load-css-stylesheets-on-pages-that-need-them/ on how to do this.
  3. Together with the CDN, use CNAMES to load your content from different domains.
  4. With W3TC you can also setup a CDN.

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Danny    1,327
Danny

Thanks for the input JBrouwer!

Please search our forums, before posting!

lakersalex    4
lakersalex

What about mysql database optimizations? My host (bluehost) reports that the database shows slow queries, and suggests adding indexes. I've searched around and the explanations are not clear to me, probably because I'm not experienced in tweaking the database.

Rob    547
Rob

Personally, I'd advise against using tools to optimize the database as this could literally wipe out your site if one little thing goes wrong.  It could also cause breaks in links, code, etc.

WordPress is designed to deal properly with your database and millions of websites have exceptional speed with massive databases, including my own, with over 40,000 posts and pages and nearly 110,000 images.  I'd recommend using MaxCDN to optimize the speed by offloading javasccript, images and other code to minimize the page load time.  Also, make sure your images aren't too big. Lastly, always make sure your plugins are up to date and are compatible with the latest version of WordPress.  Deprecated or outdated plugins probably will do more damage to speed than anything else.  Having too many plugins doesn't help either, so my rule of thumb is, if you don't need it, delete it. 

Hope this helps everyone.

• Like 1

James Giroux+    2
James Giroux

Hey, thanks for all these suggestions, they've definitely helped with my page loading speed.  I will say that the slowest file my site processes according to almost all the speed tests I've done is the CSS compile from pagelines.  Not sure where the right place to post this is, but I'm just wondering what the thinking is going forward on how to optimize the compile better and reduce the size of the page load.  I'm not leaving pagelines any time soon but I think moving forward this is one of the biggest challenges for PL.  

My sites are hosted by MediaTemple (on a Dedicated Server) running MaxCDN with W3 Total Cache & CloudFlare.  My pageload time averages around 6s to 7s with the CSS compile taking up about 3.5s or longer.  

Thanks for all the great work your team is doing.

James.

James Giroux, CEO
Groundwork

James Giroux+    2
James Giroux

Hey All.  I just wanted to follow up on my last post and say that I switched from W3 to Super Cache and the speed difference is incredible!  Super Cache loaded way faster, was easier to understand and set up and works well.  Speed Test on GTMetrix jumped from a C to an A.  Go figure.

James.

James Giroux, CEO
Groundwork

Rob    547
Rob

Thanks for letting us know.

dokether    4
dokether

For anyone experiencing issues with the CSS/LESS compiler not firing completely on their shared hosting environment due to a lack of memory, here's what I did:

1. If you try to crank up the RAM through wp-config.php and it doesn't make a difference, then it's unlikely that the server will ever have enough memory to properly compile all of the CSS/LESS files.
  2. Most likely, if you're a bit of a developer, you probably have a "local" version of the site on your own computer.
  3. Open up the Pagelines generated css file on the local version and copy that rather long line of css
  4. Paste into the style.css file of the child theme of your online site and save

This will have all of the compiled css rendered/minimized for you and put into style.css which means that your site will still look the same. The site will still attempt to load the Pagelines file, but that extra server "hit" will be solved with a caching plugin mentioned previously in this post.

• Like 1

greenfly    230
greenfly

Thanks for the updated information 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

Martin Bay    20
Martin Bay
Here is what I use

WP Super Cache because it has a nice and simple user interface for setup and is the simple to install. Also it have integration with CDN which is a great plus. If you only want CDN integration i can recommend OSSDL CDN Off Linker.

A little helpful plugin is WP-Optimize which helps you to keep your database clean by removing post revisions and spam. Additionally it allows you to optimise your wordpress database (use with caution – I can recommend you do regular database backups so you can alway revert back if any thing goes wrong).

Another useful plugin is Quick Page/Post Redirect DEV to Redirect Pages, Posts or Custom Post Types to other locations.

Last I should mention Broken Link Checker, which checks your blog for broken links and missing images and notifies you on the dashboard if any are found. It’s great to keep track of the many outgoing links and keeping them up to date.

DV hosting from MediaTemple 

Content Delivery System – CDN

Read more about my WordPress setup for a photography blog.
  • Like 1