Sign in to follow this  
leah

HOME dropdown menu

catrina

Hi Leah, There's a way to do this by adding adjusting the code for the dropdown menu. Can you please clarify what children links you want displayed under the "HOME" part of the menu? Thanks.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

leah

"Get to Know Us" (and grandchildren) "Get Involved" (and grandchildren) "Contact/Visit Us" "Virtual Tour" "Blog"

catrina

Did you change the navigation menu so that it's no longer a dropdown menu? If so, is that the way you want it to look like now? (Just asking since I revisited your website and I noticed the change)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

leah

Temporary change - fooling around with other stuff - I DO want it to be drop-down at launch.

catrina

Hello, Here's what the code for the "HOME" part of your dropdown navigation menu looks like now: `

• Home` To add the children links in a dropdown menu, you need to replace that code with the following one: `
  • Home ` Once that's pasted in and saved, the navigation menu should be working. Note: Parts of the code don't appear here (it's cut off on the right side), but just copy from beginning to end and once you paste it in, all of it should appear.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

leah

thanks - we have a big holiday this week, i'll try this over the weekend and get back to you.

leah

I was not able to find the code in header.php - I've looked other places and I cannot find it.

catrina

Okay, there is no easy way to do this since WordPress doesn't give you the ability to make those "children" links the children of the actual "Home" page. The only links that can be considered children are the pages that are considered subpages of other pages (i.e. the subpages of Lifelong Learning). A way to create a dropdown menu for the "Home" navigation link is to delete the menu you have now, re-do it manually and edit it manually, which means that you would have to go in and edit it each time you add or remove a page or subpage. Is this something you want to do?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

leah

Oh HECK no. Wow that's nutty that it is so involved! I think I'll just leave that one alone :-) Is there an easy way to make the drop-down menu only one level (meaning LIFELONG LEARNING would have a dropdown, but EARLY CHILDHOOD would NOT have an extension drop-down)? Thank you for your time and research. Who knew it was this complicated???

cmunns

Hey Leah, Are you sure that WP3.0 menus can't do this stuff?

leah

Hmm. Good question. I'll look into it. I didn't think of that, mainly b/c I'm just not used to using it yet. Thanks to both of you!

leah

Oh hey YEAH that works - and not only can you control how many levels show in the drop-down but YOU CAN MAKE "HOME" HAVE A DROP-DOWN MENU SIMPLY BY CUSTOMIZING IT IN THE WORDPRESS ADMIN. OH FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE THAT IS NOT IN THE WP DOCUMENTATION AT ALL. Ok, done with all caps now :-) The WP3.0 documentation for using custom menus is sparse, to say the least. I googled it and found other info.

washingtonlodge4

I want my menu to look just like the on in this thread, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It seems like a simple matter of selecting the dropdown option in the general settings, but no dice. I've upgraded to php5, upgraded to wp3, upgraded my db's and got everything running again... now I'm stuck. If you click one of the pages from the menu, you'll see the sub menu from the free version, but I bought the pro just for the menu. wa4.org

bryan-hadaway

@Carl - It sound like you're fully up-to-date on everything, so let's check the gas on this thing; - In Theme Options > Header and Nav You've made sure to check the "Dropdown..." checkbox correct? - You've made sure to properly set the hierarchy of pages in Appearance > Menus correct? Thanks, Bryan

cmunns

Carl don't worry about it. We just updated the themes to be backwards compatible with dropdowns so that you don't have to use wp3.0 menus. I'll go ahead and release the package now. What theme are you on? Or if you don't want to wait, just use WP3.0 menus to create your dropdowns and menu

washingtonlodge4

I woke up today and my menus is gone. I guess the problem took care of itself (baha). I had no idea about the menu section under the Appearance admin. I'll tinker with that for awhile and see what I get. Sorry for the rookie question.

washingtonlodge4

So, I went into the Appearance section and created a menu. Now the site looks exactly how it did before I bought the pro version.

leah

So is this resolved? I emailed the Wordpress folks to suggest they perhaps flesh out the Custom Menus documentation :-)

washingtonlodge4

Sorry to steal your thread.. seemed better than starting a new one. Bryan, I was under the impression that the drop down box made drop downs. Can you explain exactly what I have to do to make the template do what you advertised?