kracker    0
kracker

Is there a fix for font-awesome not rendering in ie8? I've tried the shiv, so I am at a total loss. It's such a waist if we can't use it = renders in 9 perfectly.

post-9620-0-12669400-1360169768_thumb.jp

mackenzie    12
mackenzie

Unfortunately as new browsers become available some things will not work in the older versions and that is what this appears to be happening. Can you confirm whether you are noticing any problems in current FireFox, Chrome, etc?

Mackenzie - PageLines Help Desk

The Centsible Family - Writer, Photographer and Coffee Addict

---------------------------------------------------

Kindly search this forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

kracker    0
kracker

Simon, I've noticed you guys have made it work on pagelines.com running ie8 which was not displaying properly a month or so ago - I've been in the google loop for a week now - I thought this was out of the box? Pagelines I mean. I tried the shiv in the footer </body> and the top of the <head> and both at the same time. The only thing I haven't done is dug into pl code, is that where we're left?

Mackenzie 2325 readers were affected yesterday alone. With 2.9mm readers, we can't ignore ie8.

Could some write a tutorial or something of the most reasonable course of action? lol

Simon    247
Simon

Perhaps give us a clue where this site is and where the icons are supposed to be?

kracker    0
kracker

I see my site below my name, pl forced us to put it there. I'd prefer my site not be listed on pl. 

Simon    247
Simon

OK i see the site, but where is the icon?

kracker    0
kracker

here are the two prominent places - and thanks for looking

the attachment is of the home page, top news more in category, and Today's story timeline . We're using it mildly throughout the site for now till we can get ie8 worked out.

post-9620-0-82667300-1360185533_thumb.jp

kracker    0
kracker

I run explorer 9 and under settings under F12 developer tools you can select ie7 ie8 and run in those instances.

kracker    0
kracker

god I hate ie and I hate chasing ghosts I'm going get an xp laptop running ie8 and look for myself - I'll circle back

Rob    547
Rob

Keep us posted.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

trebord_55    0
trebord_55

kracker: I discovered I was having the same problem: font-awesome icons not appearing in IE8. Endless frustration . . . until a performance test at webpagetest.org revealed a "403 Forbidden" error when IE8 attempted to access .../wp-content/themes/pagelines/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.eot. The culprit (in my case) turned out to be the root folder .htaccess edits that my BPS Security plugin had implemented. Disabled "Bulletproof Mode" for the root folder and IE8 was able to successfully access the font file, making my icons visible again.

Moral of the story (even if you're not using BPS Security): could be a 403 / .htaccess issue.

Hope this helps.

Rob    547
Rob

Thanks Trebord for adding to this input. 

While the bulk of PageLines is accessible by, and viewable in IE8, there are some things which just have compatibility issues. Keeping in mind that IE8 predates HTML5 and CSS3, this should come as no surprise to anyone.  As Simon pointed out, fontawesome and IE8 are having issues, and that's not a PL issue, so I'd agree with you, that this could be something outside PL Framework.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur