Sign in to follow this  
semperteneo

Custom content

semperteneo

Hi,

I could use some guidance.  I want to create a custom section to include a list of posts with only certain parts of the post displayed, i.e., limit the data pulled to 1 or 2 fields for a certain post-type.

Then, I want to be able to display a certain number of those posts and cycle through them live, i.e., without re-loading the page when I click a button.

From what I understand, I will need to create a child theme and make a copy of the post loop folder, renaming it to something like "mycustomsection."  

Then I will have to edit the post loop to pull only the fields I want from the post database.  

Now, I want to pull all posts of a certain post-type, i.e., "blog-post-category," but then display a handful, being able to cycle through them live (postnav button???).

Do I seem to have a grasp on what's needed?  Also, where do I look to find out what I do to the code to restrict the content of the posts pulled via my custom post loop?  

Thanks in advance,

Danny

Hi, Unfortunately, this is a bit beyond what we can provide support for. Therefore, I recommend you contact one of our pros, who will be happy to assist. http://www.pagelines.com/pros/

Please search our forums, before posting!

semperteneo

So what is the scope of the support I receive with my membership?  I see other threads in this forum that provide sample snippets of code to suggest how to achieve a task.  

Further, I am not asking for someone to write the code, but rather to guide me as to whether I am on the right track...  I was under the impression that my subscription provides support, puts the customer first, and encouraged the development of custom themes.

semperteneo

Perhaps I posted to the wrong forum???

"Have a question about CSS or PHP customizations? We can help point you in the right direction."

Rob

Hi,

I don't think the issue is the forum you posted in, but the nature of the request.  Perhaps I can explain a bit better.

If your request were simply creating a new section or modifying one simply, we'd be all to happy, but in your request you're mentioning custom fields and modifying the loop.  That's a WordPress part of the site, not PageLines, and such changes can be fraught with dangers.   If the loop itself is modified, it's not done in the same way as modifying one of our sections like a sidebar or boxes.  You stand a high chance of breaking the site, and the loop, being outside the scope of our support (in the WP realm) is something we're not really trained to modify.

That said, Danny was correct to recommend our Pros as a resource. Those professionals are skilled at modifying the loop carefully.

I'm unclear what types of custom fields or post-types you're building or seeking to view, but there are plugins that will definitely help build such things and create options for how to display them.   At CodeCanyon.net, for example, you can find Easy Custom Post Types which does precisely this.   Again, however, being a third-party product, we cannot support it.  However, it seems a better solution than trying to modify the loop on your own.

It's not, please be assured, any lack of desire to assist, but the fact that we're prohibited from supporting modifications as described. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

semperteneo

Hi Rob - 

Perhaps my question(s) was a bit loaded.  I do simply want to create a new section.  Further, I do not want to "modify" the loop or create "custom" fields.

What I want to do is simply narrow what is returned for the custom "section" based on standard blog post categories, then restyle the results via CSS, and am hoping for some confirmation / guidance.  

I am confident I can handle the restyling side via trial and error.  Also, I have seen CSS hacks simply hiding the excess data.  However, I feel this wastes memory / bandwidth, etc.  

Is it not simply a matter of passing a variable to pull certain post categories via the loop, then withholding the loop from returning some of the "fat" I'm not looking to display?  

I intend on creating a theme, and this goal provides a unique feature that should remain stable through both pagelines updates and Wordpress updates.

Am I still off base requesting help here? 

Rob

Hi,

I don't think you're off base, but I still think my suggested solution is the easiest and best. Even if it's not about modifying the loop, ultimately there's an issue of wanting to set up those customizations.   Of course, I could be misreading your last comment and don't know quite how to advise you properly. 

semperteneo

I really just need to know how to restrict what parts of a post are returned, i.e., just thumbnail and description, and limit that to a certain category of posts.

this seems best accomplished through the postloop section, by creating my own section. 

catrina

From my understanding (in a nutshell), you want certain posts from certain categories to only display certain pieces of post information on the blog page/in the postloop you're customizing?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

semperteneo

From my understanding (in a nutshell), you want certain posts from certain categories to only display certain pieces of post information on the blog page/in the postloop you're customizing?

you got it!  

Rob

Hi,

This may be achieved via CSS in most cases. Or settings or a combination thereof.

Getting rid of the excerpt is easy.  Find .fpost .post-excerpt using Firebug or Chrome's Inspection Tool and in the sandbox, test the following addition: display:none; which should hide the excerpt. Do the same thing for the thumb or any other element you wish to hide.

semperteneo

I guess I was trying to avoid that.  no sense in loading content that won't be displayed.  

Rob

Unfortunately, that is the best solution without having to hire a professional programmer.  It's also the easiest and can be made page or post specific.